News   May 01, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 301     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 349     0 

City to ban porch sofas

Should Toronto Ban Porch Sofas and Chesterfields?

• No. A man's home is his castle.

Votes: 33 61.1%
  • No. I grew up with porch sofa's and think they are great.

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Yes. It's after a porch sofa, what next? A fridge. Or a car on blocks.

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Yes. Porch sofa's belong in Hilly Billy country. Not here.

Votes: 14 25.9%

• Total voters

Mystic Point

Member Bio
Reaction score
Riding around the eastside of town this afternoon, I noticed many houses sported these sad porch sofas.

Should porch sofa's be banned?

I have seen the garbage trucks, sorry Solid Waste Management Services, refusing to pick up large items such as a old chesterfield (how do you pack them into those new garbage bins with them anyways?) that are put out on garbage day, so what do you do with them? Why not reuse them as porch seating?

I laughed so hard when I saw this poll. Growing up we had a couch on the front porch. We finally talked Mom and Dad to replace the plastic covered sofa in the living room. Dad relented and being someone who does'nt part with things well, moved it the front porch to our chagrin. Interestingly though, it became quite a hang out for my family and visitors alike. We left it there when we sold the house. It was removed soon after the new owners moved in.

Unless the issue is that it's a fire hazard is it really any of anyone's business if people want a sofa on their porch?

no davenports on davenport?

with porch sofas, don't you have to worry about all kinds of crawly things and mold? :eek:

I guess no picnics on the grass using a blanket for you.

hey, the blanket you can wash and it's flat. you can usually look at the perimeter and see if things are crawling on. a couch has all kinds of places for things to hide in and since it stays in one place for a long time, those crawly things (of all different kinds) get established. with the blanket on the grass, you usually have to worry about ants but a couch outdoors will attract spiders, earwigs, centipedes, roaches, etc, while you're not there. while you're on the blanket, those things are usually scared to venture toward you.

What about couches on condo balconies? I think eventually some people, motivated by their hate of "balcony crap" would eventually get them banned in the building.

(That is, of course, if you could even fit a couch on your balcony.)

So true. Besides, the most appropriate white trash location for a sofa is in the back of a pick-up.

So true. Besides, the most appropriate white trash location for a sofa is in the back of a pick-up.

Not as the back seat in a pick-up?
b3320e60.jpg

Back