998     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     1 

City Panhandling Strategy

unimaginative2

Member Bio
Reaction score
'Persuasion' new plan for redirecting panhandlers

With ticketing seen as ineffective, city will consider adding caseworkers to find alternatives and coax beggars off the street

JENNIFER LEWINGTON AND JAMES BRADSHAW

The Globe and Mail

April 26, 2008

An ambitious but expensive strategy to end panhandling on Toronto streets announced yesterday proposes to use "friendly persuasion" instead of punitive tactics to help those begging for spare change to find a new life.

The strategy, built on the city's recent success in helping homeless people find permanent housing - 1,700 in the past three years - is set for debate at council's executive committee early next month.

If approved by council, the city would boost funding for its Streets to Homes program to $4.9-million this year from $2.3-million, adding the equivalent of 48 full-time outreach workers, up from 23 at present. The program, which now operates five days a week, would become a seven-day-a week operation with enhanced service in the downtown core.

It would be extended to include panhandlers, some of whom have homes but have mental health issues, and "street-involved" youth such as so-called squeegee kids. The outreach workers would help them find housing if necessary, and provide other counselling and assistance to coax them from the street.

Next year, the budget would climb to $7.3-million, with the city looking for help from the federal and provincial governments and businesses.

For aggressive panhandling - illegal under provincial legislation - the city plans to ask Queen's Park to consider diversion courts or other alternatives because ticketing by the police has been ineffective.

"Panhandling is not a preferred activity by the participants, they need real alternatives," said Councillor Joe Mihevc (Ward 21, St. Paul's), chairman of the community development and recreation committee, citing a first-ever city survey of panhandlers included in the report going to the executive committee. "When most people are given those real alternatives, this activity will stop."

He concedes that it would be "too grand a claim" to say that new intervention efforts, with housing, mental health and other supports, would eliminate panhandling. "But it will certainly reduce it substantially," he contends.

Yesterday, the proposal drew mixed reactions.

Street nurse Cathy Crowe, a co-founder of the Toronto Disaster Relief Committee, was skeptical the city could deliver on the promise of adequate housing.

"There's still not a lot of places out there where people can be suddenly housed," she said. "So people are going into places that have been refused by everyone else under the sun, and that's because they're cockroach infested or whatever," she said.

Terry Mundell, president of the Greater Toronto Hotel Association, praised the proposal as "a real effort to make a significant difference in the panhandling situation." Many of his members are concerned that panhandling creates a "brand-image problem" for tourism.

But Councillor Doug Holyday (Ward 3, Etobicoke Centre) said the city is far too lenient with panhandlers and should emulate New York's zero-tolerance approach.

"They shouldn't have to tolerate [panhandlers], and we shouldn't allow it, but we do," he said. "All you have to do is come to Toronto, find yourself a piece of cement, set up your own encampment down there, and we'll find you a house and job. How many people are going to come here to get that?"

Phil Brown, the city's general manager of shelter, support and housing, which developed the proposal, defended the request for beefed-up funding.

"You do need a major investment to help these people off the street," he said, adding that the new strategy has a payback through less need for police and emergency services and reduced incidents of alcohol and drug use on the street.

Meanwhile, slouched against a fire hydrant in the heart of Toronto's financial district soliciting change in a baseball cap, one panhandler said that access to housing is "the biggest stepping stone" to breaking the cycles of poverty and addiction.

The panhandler, who wanted to be identified only as Mark, said he would be receptive if approached by a Streets to Homes worker.

"Oh certainly. It'd take some time, but yeah, it'd be good," he said.

Mere blocks away, James Ignace huddled with three homeless compatriots, seeking change in an empty coffee cup while warming himself over a current of air flowing from a sidewalk grate.

"Housing is the best; it's not about money," he said. "Say somebody comes by and gives you $200. Where is that going to get you?"

Panhandler profile

Who are the panhandlers? A first-ever city survey carried out in 2007 found:

Of 408 "legal" panhandlers - those not engaged in illegal, aggressive activity - 300 were homeless.

Of the total, 110 had housing but needed additional assistance. With help from city caseworkers, 69 of them were no longer panhandling when a pilot project wrapped up last September.

An intensive survey of 223 panhandlers in the downtown core found that 83 per cent were male; 23 per cent self-identified as aboriginal, and 73 per cent had been homeless for slightly more than two years.

Of the 223, 79 per cent said they wanted to stop panhandling.

The best thing about panhandling, according to those interviewed, is the socializing. The worst thing was the negative reaction from the public. Jennifer Lewington

I read the thread heading and thought: panhandling, a new revenue generating strategy for the city.

This city has been astonishingly successful at reducing its panhandling problem over the last few years. There should be whole newspaper specials on it, and they should get visitors from all over the world. Unfortunately, it seems almost completely ignored. It's remarkable for anyone who's lived here longer than a couple years, though.

I don't know.. I still get tons of panhandlers bothering me on my walks along Queen St West. I also still see squeegee kids on Queen and Bathurst. If this is against the law, why isn't the law enforced?

Only aggressive panhandling is against the law. Were you around before 2003? At least in my experience, things were much, much worse. I literally haven't been squeegeed in years.

I think its gotten worse along Bloor/Yorkville. There seem to be around 5-10 young or middle-aged white males whose situations are so dire they have forced to set up shop here. I'd like to extend my welcome to the latest who has set up shop outside the Starbucks, that spot had been unfilled for way too long.
These men have much greater challenges than the recent arrivals from Sudan, Afghanistan, or the elderly who haven't needed to set up shop in Yorkville yet.

Really? Back in '98 and '99, I remember that guy who was permanently out in front of the York Club, plus there were usually several more east of Bedford, out in front of the Harvey's and Swiss Chalet.

Additional public housing will not significantly reduce panhanding. People panhandle, IMO, not because they're homeless, but because they're jobless and moneyless. If we build 408 RGI "rent geared to income" units to house these panhandlers, where are they going to get money from to pay the subsidized rent? Where are they going to get the money to buy food? Unless we're ready to provide BOTH subsidized housing and lifetime/longterm welfare, this plan will not reduce panhandling, since the beggars will still need the money.

Only aggressive panhandling is against the law. Were you around before 2003? At least in my experience, things were much, much worse. I literally haven't been squeegeed in years.

I was talking about the squeegee kids being against the law. Come down to Queen and Bathurst any day of the week and you'll see plenty. I sometimes see them on Queen and Spadina also.

I was talking about the squeegee kids being against the law. Come down to Queen and Bathurst any day of the week and you'll see plenty. I sometimes see them on Queen and Spadina also.

I see them also at Jarvis & Wellesley, Bloor & Jarvis, Church & Bloor etc. They don't stay anywhere long. The work a corner for a short period and then move on, presumably before the police arrive.

I agree with those who say the panhandling problem has improved in recent years. At least anecdotally in my my neighbourhood (St. Lawrence Market area) the number of panhandlers seems to have dropped a lot over the five years since I've lived here, along with the incidents of aggressiveness I've experienced. I came to this realization suddenly a few months back when I was harassed briefly by a rather cracked-out looking fellow, and realized that it had been a long time since I'd been in that position. What used to be the norm was suddenly very unusual. Nice.

Of course, whether the problem is being resolved city wide or whether my neighbourhood is simply becoming gentrified and pushing the panhandlers elsewhere is a difficult question to answer.

When there's a problem, we should complain. But the flipside is that when improvements are made, we should give credit where credit is due. Someone is doing something right; there's still a long way to go, but it would be nice the progress thus far acknowledged.

Haha...I dunno. Could be, but I live literally blocks from there, and I must say I've pretty much never seen any. I drive past Queen and Bathurst virtually every day (Bathurst is a much quicker way uptown than Spadina!) and I can't remember the last time I saw a squeegee kid. But I'm sure they're there sometimes. Now that I think about it, there are sometimes those people who come up to your car window to ask for money at Queen and Bathurst.

I guess I just kind of like to make a habit of really celebrating where I think I see improvements. Likewise, I tend to bitch about things that make me mad (no more subways, Pier 27, terrible street relationship of new buildings, etc)!

Most of the squeegeers I tend to see downtown these days are beneath the Gardiner, anyway...

I've noticed a drop as well. While there may be city initiatives that have proven successful I think gentrification has had a large impact as well. The inner city is starting to become more and more crowded with people and money. I think this actually makes a lot of street people uncomfortable, even though it would theoretically improve their revenue stream. There are also less and less neighbourhoods and buildings left where people can live on the street or hang out as development starts to turn over more and more stones in the pursuit of real estate wealth.

Back