1.3K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 560     0 

City Cinema at Yonge-Dundas Square

G

Greg29Toronto

I took in the original "Planet of the Apes" tonight at Yonge-Dundas Square. They use video projection (it's "ok" - not great but not bad either), the screen is mounted over the front of the stage near Victoria Street & is about 30' X 30'. The image was better than I thought it would be considering how bright the square is. The sound was probably mono, quite loud, dialogue was crystal clear but some sound effects had an odd ricochet effect off the buildings. There appeared to be about 300 seats setup (all taken by show-time), the audience was totally into the film, behaved and grooving the whole scene. Sound was briefly interrupted when a garbage truck did the pickups on Yonge and when a motorcycle pulled up along side the Hard Rock, but it wasn't a big deal.

Recommended! It's a very cool and free way to spend a few hours watching a great film on a warm summer evening.

Note: I suspect a dark film like "Alien" may not work so well there.

Upcoming films:

25 July 2006 &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp

* Jaws
9:00 pm - 11:00 pm

1 August 2006 &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp

* Alien

8 August 2006 &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp

* Tremors

15 August 2006 &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp

* Jurassic Park
8:30 pm - 11:00 pm

22 August 2006 &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp

* Godzilla
8:30 pm - 11:00 pm

29 August 2006 &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp

* King Kong
8:00 pm - 11:00 pm

Wow. Why are they programing all monster films?

Tremors is probably the least well known of those films, and easily one of the best. Highly recommended.

I didn't see Gigli on the list. It must be some mistake.

AoD

No Weekend At Bernies either! What moron is programming this?

I can excuse those omissions... but no Battlefield Earth?!?

battlefieldearth.jpg

No Metropolis or The Towering Inferno or Die Hard?

How about West Side Story? Jazz-dancing gangs could be a new inspiration for certain denizens of the Y/D area.

Waterloo has had a similar program for a while where they show movies on the wall of the Centre for International Governance Innovation, formerly the Seagram Museum.

How about West Side Story? Jazz-dancing gangs could be a new inspiration for certain denizens of the Y/D area.

The staff of the two Gaps by the square could do a pre-show - Denims vs. Kahkis.

Back