News   May 17, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.8K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Chicago Building Boom (Chicago)

When it comes to architecture Chicago is far superior- there is no doubt. Indeed TO is still very much second to Montreal when it comes to interesting urban buildings in Canada. A couple dozen glass and precast highrise condos popping up here and there doesn't mean much.

I think you've overstated your case Bogtrotter. You cannot deny that there are some very cool buildings and renovations happening in the city right now. Among which:

- The ROM Crystal and restoration
- The Gardiner
- The Royal Conservatory addition and restoration
- The National Ballet
- The Opera House
- The AGO
- The Yonge Centre for the Performing Arts and the Distillery District in General.
- Festival Tower
- OCAD

The rejuvination of these already venerable institutions is breathing new life into a city that is slowly starting to awaken to its own sense of self as a preeminent location for the arts in N. America. Not bad that.

Also, take into account the scores of excellent commercial buildings under construction or in the planning phase, buildings including condos like Spire, 18 Yorkville, The Hummingbird and RoCP; new hotel and hotel/condo projects like the Four Seasons and the Ritz; and now a couple of new office towers to add into the mix. These lists are by no means exhaustive and there are probably many others that people here like a great deal, and although there is a lot of detritus being built we are starting to see the emergence of more confident, self-referential Toronto styles.

Finally, take into consideration the urban development that is finally seeing the light of day in Toronto with Dundas Square, Bloor West redevelopment, the Don Lands, City Place, the Waterfront, etc. This city is clearly reinventing itself in a way that is exciting. Unless I miss my guess I don't think it'll be too long before City Hall realizes the potential and prestige in going tall, and it wont be long before Toronto's building ambitions are as lofty as Chicago's. So, although I have never been to Chicago or Montreal, and I'm sure that those cities are beautiful and have much to recommend them, I think the most exciting place to be right now with the most potential is none other than good ol' Hogtown.

I agree completely. Its good to be in Toronto right now...:hat

I don't really care about any comparisons between Toronto and Chicago (or Montreal). As an architecture/urbanism/skyscraper fan, I'm happy for any city that experiences this kind of growth. This just shows that the downtown development market in North America is still very much alive.

Back