1.3K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 573     0 

Celebrate Summer at Mississauga City Centre

F

FutureMayor

Celebrate Summer at City Centre

summer_fun_header.gif

As part of our Placemaking initiative, the City has teamed up with Square One and community partners such as the Lion's Club, Rotary Club, Carassauga, and Orchestras Mississauga with Peter Appleyard to bring outdoor activities to our downtown core. Our goal is to operate our City Centre area like an outdoor community centre giving you (our residents) opportunities to have summer fun close to home.

On June 9th, you are invited to attend the kick-off to "Celebrate Summer at City Centre" in co-operation with Square One and the Farmers' Market. The Farmers' Market will now be located in the Square One parking lot, across from the Civic Centre, every Friday and Sunday.

We've planned more than 60 events and activities between July and August. These will include:

Canada Day (July 1),
Ribfest (July 21 to 23),
Summer Concert Series (Saturday and Sunday Nights), and Beach Fest (August 6 to 7).

In addition to these signature events, we will also be hosting Tuesday's Seniors' Day,
Wednesday's Family Day,
Friday's Youth Night - Garage Bands,and
Sunday's Carrassauga Marketplace (July 2 to August 27).

You can also pop by to enjoy the sounds of summer during your lunch hour (12 to 2 pm).

For more information call our Celebrate Summer as City Centre Hotline at 905-615-3200, ext.2403.

Louroz

Finally the City of Mississauga will be programming the Civic Square.

With a budget of $150,000 the city is finally giving residents and visitors a reason to visit the City Centre.

Anyone who has visited the Civic Centre and Square, it's one massive space equal if not bigger than Nathan Philips Square.

I'm looking forward to Beach Feast, August 6-7 where we will be trucking tons of sand and dumping it on to the Civic Square for beach volleyball and sun bathing (idea copied from Paris, France).

Louroz

Sounds good, Louroz. I popped by the market last Friday - the location is a vast improvement, even if there was a lack of vendors (typical for this early in the season, though). I was surprised they closed off so much of the Sq1 parking lot and roadway.

Nice to see Mississauga start to work on marketing the tourism aspect of the city. It's shameful that a city of this size only now has a tourism department--but better late than never.

Hey vistaway!

The official launch isn't until June 9 when the city is planning a splashy opening kick off.

However, with a little less a few days to go, I haven't seen any major advertising, except for a few street banners and billboards in Square one.

There has been a major staff resignation lately, so they had to hire a new guy to take over the project on a short notice.

I'm looking forward to this Sunday ethnic market on the Square.

Full schedule of events:

www.mississauga.ca/ecity/download/?repositoryKey=Ecity&itemDesc=file&dataName=data&mimeTypeName=mimeType&id=68500054

Louroz

I will definitely be at the launch tomorrow. Hopefully the weather holds out.

I took a walk around the Capital/Amica area, and up the new confederation pkwy yesterday. Looks very nice. I especially like the pathway between Capital and Amica. Confederation is turning out well, with the huge sidewalks and onstreet parking (as well as nice planters and paving) although I am at a loss why they are not installing lights at City Centre & Confederation now. I will try to get some pics.

I miss living there. It's nice to not having people begging for change every time I walk down the street.

How is it that I live in the inner city, have a guy just outside my door asking for money everyday, and yet if somebody was to ask me to describe my life in the city, beggers probably wouldn't make it into my description. Can't you train yourself to pay attention to the other details, Ontario? It's harder to rant about the other details, but in the end you'll be happier.

I hope tax dollars aren't being used to fund "Ribfest." Taxpayer funding of the low-meats is an outrage.

I made ONE comment about beggars. It's funny, you guys make comments, both good and bad about our city all the time, and I don't have a problem with it. I make one negative comment, and everyone has a problem with it. I never said Toronto sucks in every way. I made one negative comment, that's all. Just like many people often make negative comments about MCC, usually without even living there first.

As for the "no pedestrians" comment, only someone who hasn't lived there would say that.

All those people walking around inside Square One are pedestrians.

It's a fact, not an argument. I guess they don't count as pedestrians though because it's the suburbs :lol

PS, look up the meaning of "pedestrian".

Back