News   Aug 30, 2024
 618     0 

CBC: Energy-saving programs lose funding

S

simply Dan

Energy-saving programs lose funding
Last Updated Fri, 05 May 2006 22:37:27 EDT
CBC News

Department of Finance officials are confirming that a whole new list of environmental programs are losing their funding as a result of this week's federal budget.

Among the best known is the Energuide program, in which Canadians who have their homes renovated to save energy can qualify for a federal grant of several thousand dollars.

About 300,000 people have used the program since its start in the late 1990s.

A home retrofitted under the program cuts its energy use by an average of 30 per cent.

But Energuide has had its budget slashed by $227 million over the next five years. Groups that run the program say it will be a shadow of its former self and a lot fewer people will be able to take advantage of it

There's also a similar Energuide program for low-income households. Its entire budget of more than $550 million is cut, meaning that program is now gone.

Four other environmental programs have lost most, or all, of their funding. They include everything from money to develop new kinds of renewable energy, to a program to help people switch to more efficient furnaces.

The cuts add up to just under $1 billion over the next five years.

The federal departments that run the programs have refused to comment. They simply say the government is developing its own environmental plan, which will be announced later this year.

I thought a minority government can't just pass through all this stuff. But it sure looks like they are doing a good job at ruining this country and the programs we had that tried to address some of the problems we have like pollution, etc.

I am disliking this government more and more with each new change they do to our programs.

Of course they can pass this stuff. It is not a matter of confidence, but program management.

Being the government gives Harper a great deal of basically unrestrained power. That's why I wanted to smack people who thought everything would be honkey-dorey as long as the Liberals/NDP could "keep Harper honest".

Like I said at election time, the vast majority of actual government actions are taken through regulation and not legislation. If it so chose, the government could decimate almost every program without ever having to ask the house. Lucky for Harper, it's even easier to cut without legislation than it is to add.

Back