News   Apr 26, 2024
 318     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 874     0 

Canada to Bid on Next Round of Iraq Deals

S

sk8rboiiii

Canada to Bid on Next Round of Iraq Deals
30 minutes ago Add White House - AP to My Yahoo!

By DEB RIECHMANN, Associated Press Writer

MONTERREY, Mexico - President Bush (news - web sites), seeking to mend relations with America's northern neighbor, said Tuesday that Canada will be eligible for a second round of U.S.-financed reconstruction contracts in Iraq (news - web sites).

In a breakfast meeting with new Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin, Bush said he had told Martin of the shift in policy. Martin "understands the stakes" in rebuilding a free and peaceful Iraq, Bush said. He offered no details of what the contracts would be worth.

Martin is eager to patch up the cross-border relationship after his predecessor, Jean Chretien, abstained from the Iraq war, angering Bush.

Martin said he was pleased by the new U.S. stance toward Canada, and the lucrative contracts that could come Canada's way. U.S. policy in the first round was to shut out Canada and other countries that opposed the war.

"It does show that working together, we can arrive at a reasonable solution," Martin told reporters after the breakfast.

The two leaders also pledged cooperation on another issue that has irritated U.S.-Canada relations, the discovery of mad cow disease in America from a cow that apparently came from Canada.

"This is an issue that's going to require close coordination between our two countries," Bush said. "The best way to make sure we're able to satisfy consumers ... is for there to be (coordination) on regulation, on information and on the science."

Bush said he was confident in the safety of the beef supply, and was still himself eating beef.

Bush took a firm stance on border security, an issue that has irritated many American neighbors, including Mexico and Canada.

"We will do everything we can do to protect our country from attack," Bush said. But he pledged to "work closely with the Martin government on passport issues."

"Canada and America have got special status ... by virtue of the fact of a significant interchange on an hourly basis between our two countries," Bush said. "It's special because we share a long border."

The president also hinted at the broad outlines of an announcement he will make Wednesday on the next generation of space flight. Bush is expected to announce plans to establish a long-term research presence on the moon to facilitate travel to Mars and perhaps asteroids.

Asked whether the United States could afford the new venture at a time of record-setting deficits, Bush said, "Yes."

"The spirit is going to be one of continued exploration, seeking new horizons," Bush said.

Are Be, are you wondering how I posted an article before you got to it? j/k :lol

sk8r, do you think Canada deserves to bid on contracts?

I think we do, I mean we sent $300 million to the rebuilding of Iraq. Im actually not surprised by this headline, I was expecting it ever since Bush said that he would review the decision to bar Canada from bidding. I think we definitely would have pulled back the aid package had Bush decided that Canada was not allowed to bid at all, and Bush needs all the proof he can aquire that other countries are on his side, and this is just one way of getting it, symbolically of course, Canada is not guaranteed any contracts.

Back