122     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 768     0 

Bremen, Germany's 10th largest city

R

ronald1987

I went to Bremen, in northern Germany for 4 days last week.
I forgot my own camera as I was in a rush when I left. But luckily one of my travel companions had brought a fantastic camera that I used a lot. Even though I wanted to take many more pictures, here's what I've got. Enjoy!

Looking at the old city (left) and factories (right) from a bridge over the "Weser" river

Square in the middle of the city centre.
That's the St Petri Dom in the back, and the city hall to the left.

A statue of "Die vier Bremer Stadtmusikanten" (Bremen's four musicians!)

They are from a fairytale.

City Hall

The St Petri Dom

Close-up

Adjacent to the larger square, there is a smaller square that can be seen in the background here.
Note, to the left, there is a text displayed on a building; it says
Gedenke der Bruder, die das Schiksal unsere Trennung tragen!,
which means: think of our brothers, who bear the fate of our separation. It refers to the division of Germany from 1945-1989.

Statue of Poseidon

And now some pictures of: Schnoor. This neighbourhood is known for it's small, narrow streets.

Swedish flags are everywhere because the Swedish national soccer team was practicing for the World Cup in Bremen.

We've left the Schnoor neighbourhood again.

a lot of trams on the city's streets

I ran into this building, don't know exactly what it is, but it looked really nice.

Details...

Two more pics of the St Petri Dom

The entrance

This is the area immediately outside of the central railway station.

Me in front of one of Germany's largest breweries. This is Beck's Brewery (have you heard of that beer?)

That's all for now :)

People-scaled neighbourhoods... gotta love it. Thanks for the tour.

Me in front of one of Germany's largest breweries. This is Beck's Brewery (have you heard of that beer?)
Ja! Beck's can be found just about everywhere in Toronto.

I spent a precise 1-minute in Bremen's train station with simply Dan in October 2004 en route to Cologne. Hopefully next time I'll get to see some of the city!

BTW Ronald, Dan and I "may" be in the Netherlands this September so if you know of any "must see" areas, feel free to mention!

It's great beer, but hard to find here. I miss it already, even though it ain't as nice as a Hefeweizen!

Too bad you didn't get out to see Bremen, it has a lot to offer. Cologne ain't bad, though. Impressive cathedral they got there!

Dude, if you're coming to the Netherlands, send me a pm when you're going. I'd love to show you around! I'm biased towards Rotterdam (I live there) and Utrecht (I go to Uni there). But there's more to the county than just these two cities. Are you going to visit just Holland or several countries? I can recommand you to go see several countries, it's all really close to each other. When I went to Bremen, I felt like it was in my backyard :D

We'll likely be in Amsterdam for five days in the first week of September. We'll probably spend a day in Rotterdam as well before heading down to Paris. I'll PM you, thanks for the offer!

I always enjoy your pictures Ronald. Thanks for posting these.

Those are some pretty narrow streets in Bremen. It's an interesting view.

Maybe it's the 20s-Expressionist geek in me, but did you take in Bottcherstrasse?

Great pics. Generates the urge to travel. The bank account disagrees.

Thanks for your kind replies everyone.

We did take in the Bottcherstrasse. I didn't take any pics,
here are some pics from the net.

Böttcherstrasse in Bremen was transformed in 1926-30 from a street of mean dwellings into a "museum street" by Dr. L. Roselius.

het%20bottcherstrasse,%20relief%20hoetger%20bremen.jpg

stairhouse of house atlantis, by hoetger
het%20bottcherstrasse,%20trappenhuis%20haus%20atlantis%20hoetger.jpg

het%20bottcherstrasse%20bremen.jpg

Back