1.2K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 9.4K     9 

Bizarre Permit Parking Hours

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Just thought I'd throw this out both as a courtesy warning to those who might get dinged, but also as a query to the masses on whether this is an issue elsewhere.

I was out visiting the Leslieville Farmer's market this morning and drove onto a side street via Dundas in order to park.

The street was lined with cars, didn't see any signs restricting anything within the sightline of my spot, and no hydrant so I assumed I was good.

Came back an hour later and found a ticket for violating permit parking rules.

This was 10am.

I was baffled......I searched the street and found a sign well out of the way of where I parked that said parking by permit only 10pm-2pm!

I've never heard of permit hours like that, and I've lived in the City my whole life and been driving over 20 years.

Permit parking is almost always restricted 12am-7am; with rare extensions to either 11pm or 8am.

10pm-2pm?

Has anyone ever seen that before? Elsewhere?

The fact I had a ticket within a few minutes of parking there indicated this is a 'trap' spot where they catch lots of folks unawares. :(

Perhaps the residents had it changed because people kept parking there to visit the farmer's market or other businesses, and when the residents went out for shopping/fresh air/brunch on the weekend, they'd come back and not be able to find a spot.

The rules often reflect local concerns. However, they should be clearly posted.

Perhaps the residents had it changed because people kept parking there to visit the farmer's market or other businesses, and when the residents went out for shopping/fresh air/brunch on the weekend, they'd come back and not be able to find a spot.

The rules often reflect local concerns. However, they should be clearly posted.

That's possible. But I'm not a fan of inconsistent rules.

I think the way to address excess parking on a street is to implement pay and display (permit holders exempt) and that discourages over use by non-residents.

At the same time, overuse by residents (you bought a home w/no driveway and have 3 cars......)
Should be addressed through fair-market pricing for permits.

I see the most expensive permit (the one for those with on-site parking) is still well under $100 a month; when renting a private space
in the same type of area would typically run over double that.

Some side streets off the Danforth have similar types of daytime parking restrictions, if not necessarily those same hours. IIRC, parking on Hazelwood Avenue without a permit for that area during the daytime on weekdays is verboten.

On Gore Vale the city recently brought in no parking between 5 pm and 7 pm unless you have a permit. Local residents complained about not being able to find parking due to all the visitors in Trinity Bellwoods and the city introduced the restrictions.

Back