News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 565     0 

BIG BANG PARTY

Only if it's what I hope it is and some women show up. If it isn't, pass.

Oh, I forgot - it's the Friday night bash inside the ROM Crystal, the night before the official opening.

10 pm until 3 am.

That's a relief. I thought it was a party for the creation of the universe, and I was finding out about it a few billion years too late. Like most things.

What better place to celebrate the big bang other than right in the center of the universe, downtown Toronto?

Getting information about this thing is like pulling teeth.

There's a fancy dinner for the fancy donors first. Then the doors swing open at 10 ... and ... Wheeee! ... the party people rush in! There is a "celebratory moment" at 10:30 ( I asked if Celine Dion was being lowered from the roof and was told, alas, no ), access to all the Crystal galleries - with different kinds of entertainment ( jazz, cabaret, a lounge, a disco for adma etc. ) in each ... and food.

Tickets go on sale next Monday for $250 ( $200 if you're a member of the ROM's Young Pioneers or whatever they're called ).

$250? Crap. I can spend that at the Big Bang party, or I can spend it in Firenze a week later. I think I'll opt for the leather goods. BB - instead of spending that at the BB party, you should be saving it for your Mum's birthday gift, you know, a really nice foot bath or something...

tmi 42

250 seems to be the going rate for fancy do's - such as the opera house gala - these days.

The party goes until the wee hours of June 2nd - which is Mumsy's birthday. She would want me to celebrate it in style ... though I'll be wrecked when I get on the 'plane if I do.

I take it that's a "no"?

imbibing babel

Yeah, barring lottery wins, (and I don't play, so I can't win) it's a 'no' - Italy's going to cost a small fortune.

Or maybe we can both find sugar daddies to take us...

arm-candy 42

Oh, and pick me up a nice Missoni sweater while you're over there, dahling ...

At the delightful Currelly and Patron's Circle afternoon tea today there were a couple of interesting talks from the curators, and a show and tell of tea paraphernalia - including a reproduction of the famous Christopher Dresser teapot that looks deco but was designed ages before. The woman next to me at our table started at OCA(D) the same year I did, but the ravages of time and our rapidly diminishing brain cell count meant that neither of us remembered ever having seen the other before.

The Barenaked Ladies will be one of the acts performing at the Crystal's opening, I gleaned from a nice elderly woman who was on the committee that decides such things. Oh, and the GG and the Premier will be there - not singing though.

If anyone has tickets to the June 1st ROM Big Bang party and isn't going to be able to use them, I'd love to buy them from you. Please contact me ASAP!

Back