1.2K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.9K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 548     0 

Best View of Toronto?

B

billy corgan19982

Personally, you can’t beat the view from the islands. I also enjoy the view from the Leslie Street Spit, Panorama Lounge and the CN Tower.

I love the view from Riverdale park or on the patio at the Docks :)

The view from atop the Imperial oil building at Yonge and St. Clair gives you an unbeatable view. The reverse skyline. With everything backwards. I love it.

The view coming off the don valley parkway at Richmond is also Fantastic.

I've enjoyed Greyhound bus rides into the city, travelling east on the Gardner. This could either be a stationary or a moving view, depends what time it is.

Tough question. My candidates:

1) Travelling south on Mt. Pleasant past St. Clair and seeing the towers along Bloor and the Rosedale Valley.
2) The Gardiner/DVP interchange, heading west.
3) Avenue Road southbound at the crest of the hill south of Balmoral.
4) Northbound on Yonge, south of York Mills at the Loblaws: great view of ever-changing NYCC
5) Fairview Mall garage, top level, looking west. You can see from King Street to Finch
6) DVP southbound, at various points, esp past the Millwood bridge.
7) DVP northbound approaching Don Mills, esp at night: all the Don Mills towers, and especially the Leaside Towers
8) Steps at Casa Loma leading down to Davenport. Great midtown vista.
9) The late, unlamented eastern Gardiner: on west bound ramp approaching DVP interchange.
10) Front car of a SB Yonge train leaving Davisville station
11) Front car of a NB Yonge train approaching Eglinton (just picture Minto YE to your right!)
12) NB on a Bathurst streetcar, looking east

Forgot a few:

- Yonge, looking south just south of St. Clair (where the Book City is)
- 7th floor FIS lounge at Robarts (Bissel Wing). Panoramic views to the south, east, and north
- Robarts, 13th floor, any direction, esp south and north

And on a sadder note:

- my ex-girlfriend's apartment. She lived on the 15th floor of the apartment building at Bloor and Spadina that's over the Ferret and Firkin pub. From her balcony you could see south all the way down Spadina, with a great view of downtown. Sigh. Lots of good times in that flat...

A great, if unusual, view of the city can be found at the Greek Embassy, 365 Bloor E., near Sherbourne. Overlooks St. Jamestown, Don Mills, Crescent Town, Thornecliffe, the whole east side, with parts of Riverdale and Cabbagetown in the foreground. Check it out if you get the chance.

The view from the top floor of Chapters in the Festival Hall complex at Richmond & John is quite spectacular and definitely one of my faves. I love the way the modern skyscrapers rise above the older 'industrial era' buildings.

I'd also completely agree with Are Be -- did I just say that? -- about the eastern view out of the window of the 511 Bathurst streetcar. It's especially great at Carr St (just north of Queen) where there's a clear view due to an abandoned site where an Americaneque field of rubble remains from a building long torn down. Speaking of which, does anyone know why this lot has been vacant for so long? It's in a decent location, has a great view of the city, yet never seems to be the topic of any speculation.

Another great view (yet probably already mentioned) is from the top of Pottery Road overlooking the Don and with a great view of both Yonge & Bloor and the C.B.D. to boot!

JASON :)

Riverdale park is great too. Watch for that one on the 505 or 504.

And of course, the CN tower (duh).

I would choose the top of the Harbourfront parking garage. It's always empty, but it always provides a spectacular view.

Hmmm...thought I mentioned the view out the Bathurst streetcar, not Are Be. Oh well, his shadow looms large over this forum ;)

Ya, i always point out the view from the Bathurst car to people who are with me. Or walking on Bathurst, cuz you can stop, or you climb up into that abandonned lot. On sick summer night the city glows and lights up the air around it. On frigid cold nights, they are independent discreet speers of light.

Those Baldwin Steps at casa loma are great. Around the corner from my house. Took and out of town guest there on sunday afternoon - well, we walked through the ravines off of Russell Hill, froze our ears, climbed the icy staircase under the Spadina Rd bridge and walked down to the steps and looked. They're good steps to go running. I like to run up them then turn around at the top and suddenly see a vista that is always surprising at just how vistaish it is. Especially in winter when there are no leaves.

In the neighbourhood the st. clair street car, as it passes east of spadina road...looks over the resevior/park and somewhere beyond the trees the city rises. just like in the don valley, you can't see the inbetween city, so it appears as if it rises out of the trees. very utopian/star trek.

Dundas...from landsdown to maybe Dufferine/ossington...the as it curves to the south and east, it points directly at downtown for a while, giving an unobstructed yet oddly angled view of the downtown.

Spadina (the street) was cut through the forest specifically to open that vista from Spadina (the house) to the lake.

Heh - that's exactly what i tell people at the top of the steps. I point to Spadina House and then we look to the lake and marvel the things rich white guys can do.

Was John Street opened for the same reason? I've always enjoyed the way the Grange terminates the vista looking north on John. Now if only that park could be improved.

Back