100     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 882     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 518     0 

Best pubs

F

fiendishlibrarian

Alright, I've had enough of nightclubs and romantic restaurants and such. To each his own, I guess. For someone who is single and ain't into clubbin', pubs are my havens where I can drown my sorrows :D Candidatz (where has Are Be been lately?)

Wheat Sheaf (King/Bathurst)
Pauper's Pub (Bloor/Bathurst)
Lion on the Beach (Beaches)
Black Sheep (Yonge and Sheppard)
Duke of Kent (Yonge-Eglinton)
Duke of York (Bloor/Bedford)
Fionn McCool's (Esplanade)
Dora Keogh (Danforth)
Black Swan (Danforth)
Scotland Yard (Esplanade)
Bow and Arrow (Yonge/Davisville)

Maybe not technically a pub, but the BierMarkt on the Esplanade is great. Also, Hair of the Dog on Church is very good.

145981p1.jpg

The carpets may not have been cleaned in 30 years and the the walls may reek of caked-on smoke, but I'm still partial to the Duke of Gloucester at 649 Yonge St. Despite being a hard spot to find (being tucked away over an Indian restaurant) it always seems like out-of-town Brits visiting T.O. find this spot nonetheless. Hearing those accents fill the room seems to give the place a bit more authenticity than some other T.O. pubs. Do stay away though if there's a Welsh football team in town (unless of course you like to listen to 40 pissed drunk blokes belting out Oasis tracks at the top of their lungs with fire-red faces). The Duke of G. also has one of the only jukeboxes in Toronto to have a few decent tunes in it. Definitely one of my fave spots for a pint.

Other places I'm partial to:

*Paupers (Bloor W)
*Hare of the Dog (Church)
*Betty's (King E, although not really a pub)
*The Jersey Giant (Front E)
*Bishop & Belchor (Queen W)

JASON :)

C'est What is my favourite. They have their own cask conditioned ales :p , as well as a great selection of local brews. Also, the lamb burger and falafel plate are terrific.

After that, probably the Rebel House on Yonge, just north of Rosedale station. Again, great selection of micro brews and decent, interesting menu.

Hemingway's, in Yorkville, has a great rooftop patio which fully enclosed in winter. Food and beer are more ordinary though

Allen's, on Danforth right next to Dora Keogh, is more of an American bar in terms of its decore, but very much a pub in its huge beer selection and good food. Also, the back patio, dominated by a couple of huge trees, is wonderful retreat in the summer.

I never really liked the Black Swan. More of a Budweiser place.

I watched England's World Cup matches at Duke of Gloucester... it was like being back in England... cool.

Pimblett's Pub (Queens Head) - 263 Gerrard St, at Parliament. One of Toronto´s best kept secrets... my fav pub in TO by far!

Our pubs of choice were (no particular order):

Ferret and Firkin (formerly The Sticky Wicket, in another age)
Madison Ave. Pub
Lion on the Beach
Captain Jack's [Beaches]
Stoney's [Beaches]
The Wave [Beaches]
Carlos Murphy's [Beaches]
Scratch Daniel's [Beaches]
Three Judges [Oakville -- when visiting friends]
Kings Arms [Oakville]

We lived in the Beaches, which is probably obvious at this point....

The Peel Pub was great for cheap beer and poutine, but it got less enjoyable as the crowds increased (in the winter, they also had a mandatory coat check in the evenings).

We also tried Murphy's Law [Beaches] once after it opened, but moved shortly thereafter. I always thought the building was wasted as a kicthen apparel store, and should be a pub. My wish was granted, but I wasn't around to enjoy it...

As is the Red Room (same owners!).

Neither are truly a pub though.

In fact, it's a mini empire:

Green Room
Red Room
Ancient (Queen West)
Temptation (Kensington)
Friendly Thai
Java (Queen West)

These cats own it all.

I think i'm generally anti pub but that may be related to being anti celtic music as that is the sort of thing that seems to proliferate these places. and i generally dislike expatriot brits. though that's just my experience. i may simply attract an assortment of assholes, i don't know. generally speaking.

Can't refuse to post on this topic. I have a number of places that I like to go to. The Duke of Gloucester is the place to go if you are a soccer, sorry, football fan (Yeah, go Leeds!). Other places I like are:

Dora Keogh's
Allen's
Fionn MacCool's (notice a trend here?)

Also, a pub I really like that is next door to the Duke of Gloucester (on Isabella, actually) is the Artful Dodger. Perhaps the most authentic British pub in the city (that I've been to anyway). No blaring TV, or music, just a bunch of people who come to read a book, newspaper, or engage in friendly conversation over a pint. And the fireplaces in both of the main rooms are a nice touch as well.

I spot the trend Leeds Fan,

I'm just curious, which one are you going to on the 17th?

I don't know, but I imagine I'll head over to Dora Keogh's/Allen's. As this will be my first St. Pat's Day in Toronto, does anyone have any recommendations? Are these as good a choice as any?

Back