News   Apr 26, 2024
 535     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Berczy d9

grp

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi, my friend bought this suite on sat what does anyone think 3rd floor??? Does the lack of balcony negatively impact value alot?? Also did anyone get the 5 percent interest on deposit?? Apparently only the first 5 people very lame, and i guess VERY VERY LIMITIED. Anyways all criticism and pro's apprectiated. Price, which I dont think should make a big diff was in 580's WITHOUT PARKING

G

http://www.theberczy.com/pdf/planD9.pdf

i'd like to know too! also did you find out if the master bedroom will be carpet or hardwood as it has both sliding doors and a normal door?

pretty good layout IMO - cons: generally don't like having to squeeze through the kitchen to get to the living room. living room is also pretty narrow. I wouldn't worry about the balcony. Huge den - more like a third bedroom. The location of this building is fantastic.

the layout isn't bad; however, it's a long and narrow bowling alley measuring 50' x 24'.

this unit faces north and the 2nd bedroom is 30 feet away from the windows.
the den get no natural light whatsoever, but it is big enough to be a 3rd bedroom.

1 minor modification i would request:
have the W/D door open into the 2nd bathroom vs. the hallway into the kitchen.

About $520 psf at St. Lawrence Market is very good, I believe. The lack of parking could be an issue at resale, but the area is one of the most pedestrian friendly in the city and close to 2 subways and the King streetcar.

It is a long and narrow bowling alley, but that is generally the norm. So putting that to the side, I would say that it is a very good floor plan. Sometimes you get something at the expense of another. So while it lacks a balcony, I agree with Catapult and cdr... you've pretty much got a third bedroom. Oddly shaped, but clearly a separate room with it's own door that could make for a great guest room. Being on the third floor, you may not find yourself on the balcony too often. Plenty of patios in the area and at least if they are juliet balconies you will get open air.

I agree with Catapult about the squeeze through the kitchen. And there's not much you can do with that. It would be tough to make it strictly linear or even an L.

The gem is the bedroom. Good size at 12'8'x10' but also the added foyer and walk-in plus double entry. Lots of closet space throughout the unit.

One thing when considering negatives... look at the awesome neighbourhood you'll be living in! So many positive trade offs, if you ask me.

The unit is rather thin, but the overall size is decent.

I would get rid of the 2nd bedroom to create more space next to the kitchen and entry (great for entertaining). The office/den is large enough to be a guest room and you could flip the closets to open into this room.
Having 2 doors to the master bedroom doesn't make sense and limits furniture placement for the bedroom and living room.

Having a balcony is definitely a selling plus, and the floor area of the balcony is not included in the calculation of condo fees so it's like having an extra room with paying more each month for maintanence. But if there is no view, than I could understand not having a balcony.
If your friend doesn't spend much time outside or hate the heat and humidity, than having a balcony may not be important.

I don't particularly like this unit. For 1125 it has a very small living/dining area with a lot of wasted hallway space between entrance/den/kitchen, plus quite a bit of wasted space in the master bedroom. That den really isn't in any shape to be a bedroom as it's closer to 8 feet wide and the only place to put a bed would be against the bottom wall - in which case you'd have to get into bed from the footboard. It's closer in size to a better laid out 1000 or even 950 ft unit, which puts it at $616/ft, without parking or balcony. Still not a horrible deal in St. Lawrence but it might be a little more difficult in resale. You can get some very nice older condo's in St. Lawrence for $450/ft, so I might reconsider. The Berczy is nice, but hardly luxury by any stretch.

I don't particularly like this unit. For 1125 it has a very small living/dining area with a lot of wasted hallway space between entrance/den/kitchen, plus quite a bit of wasted space in the master bedroom. That den really isn't in any shape to be a bedroom as it's closer to 8 feet wide and the only place to put a bed would be against the bottom wall - in which case you'd have to get into bed from the footboard. It's closer in size to a better laid out 1000 or even 950 ft unit, which puts it at $616/ft, without parking or balcony. Still not a horrible deal in St. Lawrence but it might be a little more difficult in resale. You can get some very nice older condo's in St. Lawrence for $450/ft, so I might reconsider. The Berczy is nice, but hardly luxury by any stretch.

Could you show us an example of a nicer condo in the st. lawrence market for $450/ft? it would be great to compare

The unit was returned on friday by my friend it was 579,000 they purchased parking and locker in addition...My concerns were many that were mentioned light in the 2nd bedroom, 3rd bed/den was good size but no natural light at all. No balcony and very long and not overly wide. Anyways, that saga has ended they are hoping to get something better on the 29th

Anyways, that saga has ended they are hoping to get something better on the 29th

what happens on the 29th?

if your friends are willing to consider an older building (ie. 1980s), there are many choices in the area of similar size and larger for cheaper.

if your friends are willing to consider an older building (ie. 1980s), there are many choices in the area of similar size and larger for cheaper.

I've read today on an agent's blog that there are currently 5 units listed for sale at the Olde York Place building (160 Frederick St), 2100 - 2300 sqft each, ranging from $650 K to $729 K. That works out to around $280 - $300/ sqft, which is super low compared to $650 - $800/ sqft for units at The Berczy. And this building is the same distance from St. Lawrence Market as The Berczy.

I've read today on an agent's blog that there are currently 5 units listed for sale at the Olde York Place building (160 Frederick St), 2100 - 2300 sqft each, ranging from $650 K to $729 K. That works out to around $280 - $300/ sqft, which is super low compared to $650 - $800/ sqft for units at The Berczy. And this building is the same distance from St. Lawrence Market as The Berczy.

That is a 25-year old building aprox., by the time the Berczy is done, it will be close to 30-year old. I'm not sure if they are comparable.

That is a 25-year old building aprox., by the time the Berczy is done, it will be close to 30-year old. I'm not sure if they are comparable.

Let's also not lose sight of the condo fees associated with units at 160 Frederick -- much higher which makes them much more unattractive to potential buyers. Also, the St Larence Mkt is only one of the attractions -- The Berczy is in a much more developed area (despite being 5 mins away from Frederick) and is located closer to the Financial District/GO Trains/Subways/etc. The 5 min stroll is worth the extra cash... believe it or not.

Let's be honest... the Berczy is turnkey... can't say the same about 160 Freddy! To each, their own.

The older buildings in the neighborhood will lack modern features, conveniences and amenities and also the condo fees are extremely high.
I saw 2-story penthouse in a 30-year-old lowrise building near the Bercy a few months ago. It was over 1,100 sq.ft. (plus roof-top deck) selling for $499,000 and the condo fees were over $900/mo (the low selling price was offsetting the high condo fees). The place needed a lot of work.

Back