415     0 
News   Sep 27, 2024
 285     0 
News   Sep 27, 2024
 228     0 

Beer Baron mansion in Oakville?

F

fouratjajou

I can't remeber when I heard about this, think it was from the Star years back. One of the successors to the Molson(?) fortune was supposed to build the biggest house in Canada in Oakville(?)

Anyone remember this? Anyone have pics?

It is well into construction on Lakeshore between Martin Grove and Chartwell. The house is huge!!!

Not sure if I'm remembering correctly....but I don't think it was anyone from the Molson family....but rather I think it was the guy who heads up Interbrew (spelling?)

Oddly, my neighbourhood received flyers advertising this property. The real estate agent must have concluded that we were multi-millionaires slumming it in a middle-class community.

This is found at the end of the article. Wow:

Ontario is named for an Iroquois word that means "beautiful waters" or "shimmering waters." With about 400,000 lakes, rivers and streams, and parts of four Great Lakes and Niagara Falls, Ontario is home to 15% of the world's freshwater.

And they say that the next World War may very well be fought over water. Anyone want to join my militia? We're called the Ontario Water Warriors, or OWW!!!

@JoeyCuppa, I think so, I know it was done in Southern Ontario :)

Ontario is home to 15% of the world's freshwater.

I don't know where people come up with these numbers. Can't they make just a little effort to check facts, or just leave it alone.

I don't know where people come up with these numbers. Can't they make just a little effort to check facts, or just leave it alone.
What's wrong with the number? If you assume that "home to" does not mean exclusive access then you can include four of the Great Lakes.

Isn't that where Billy Madison was filmed?

I thought it was Parkwood in Oshawa (which I believe was also used for the first X-Men movie, which also used the Hamilton CN Station and of course City Hall).

What's wrong with the number? If you assume that "home to" does not mean exclusive access then you can include four of the Great Lakes.

Because lake Michigan is not in and does not border on Ontario, nor do lakes Manitoba, Winnipeg, Athabaska, Great Slave Lake, Great Bear Lake, not to mention the millions of fresh water lakes and rivers to be found around the world.

Because most of the fresh water is in ice sheets.

Because if you add up the liquid fresh water in the other lakes and rivers of the world (according to the above quoted figures) then you end up with more than 100%. That is not allowed.

I thought it was Parkwood in Oshawa (which I believe was also used for the first X-Men movie, which also used the Hamilton CN Station and of course City Hall).
I didn't work in the industry back in the Billy Madison days, but it was quite likely shot at the Parkwood Estates in Oshawa as that is an extremely popular shooting location. The Cuickston Park Estate in Cambridge is also extremely popular as far as Ontario "big mansions" go.

While that water stat is dubious it might not be too too far off if you are talking about available surface fresh water (aka no ground water, no ice, no rainfall).

I poked around my own files on this stuff, but as they are a mess...

I think the actual liquid, fresh water number for the Great Lakes is around four percent.

Back