News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 575     0 

Beaver tales

B

building babel

Running June 21 to July 9 at the Design Exchange:

The city of Beaver was built by writer Alfred Holden and his friends in the 1960's and 1970's, when they were children and teenagers. They used cardboard boxes, adhesive and coloured markers to create an imaginary - but very real - model city, from their imagination. Stored in an attic in Vermont for 30 years, it has been reassembled at the Design Exchange for the delight of Torontonians who care.

Beaver: Alfred Holden tells how it was created, in the Summer issue of "Taddle Creek".

I thought this was a thread about a tasty fried and frosted desert.

Naughty girl. You know, surely, I'd never stoop that low.

You guys can make fun all you want but you'll be sorry when all the exhibitions have moved to Vaughan and Markham. That's all I'm saying. This is serious. Go to the Beaver exhibition while you can.

beaver_thumbs_lg.gif

I just went. Beaver is great. Yaaaay, Beaver!

The model city is fantastic, very colourful, with eccentric skyscrapers and lowrise commercial buildings in all kinds of styles, some not yet invented, all set out on a streetscape.

There are maps of Beaver, and the imaginary states of Cliffton, Middiland and Trefernia, and the town of Hillton ...

There is the Beaver newspaper ...

There are the Beaver election results ...

There is Fraughpp Stadium, where the mysterious national sport of fraughpp is played ...

There is a video loop of the Holden lads, transferred from a 1965 8-MM home movie ...

There are examples of children's building sets from the early to mid-20th century ...

The exhibition is an ode to a happy childhood, youthful camaraderie, and the childhood imagination. Big grown up kid Alfred Holden will be there to explain it all this Saturday from 12 noon to 5 p.m. if anyone wants to drop by.

www.eye.net/eye/issue/iss...sweek.html

artsweek.JPG

LAST EXIT TO BEAVER
Mysterious Pompeii or misunderstood Rochester -- everyone has a favourite ruin. For journalist Alfred Holden, it's Beaver, a city noted for its advanced culture and design. Some say math was invented there. Others say it was drywall. It's hard to be certain because until recently, Beaver was believed to be lost.

The fact that Beaver is the work of teenagers from over 30 years ago and is made of cardboard and Pringles cans shouldn't dilute the awe inspired by its debut this week at the Design Exchange. With over a thousand buildings contained within 16 square meters, Beaver began as a summer project among Holden and his cousins at the ages of nine. Frustrated with the misleading claims of Lego, the troupe began using cereal boxes, magic markers and anything else they could scrounge, ultimately turning a two-month project into a six-year narrative epic that included characters, elections and a certain dry wit. As in life, "DeCline Stocks" is just down the way from the "Gateway Funeral Home."

"It's very vernacular," Holden drolly cautions when I catch him in between last minute repairs. With the pieces stowed away in Holden's family attic, it was fellow journalist and urban enthusiast Conan Tobias who convinced Holden of the possibility of rebuilding the city after the two attended a Douglas Coupland exhibition of childhood modelling sets. Tobias remembers telling Holden, "Your models are much better."

Returning to Beaver, Holden was struck in hindsight that "the urban landscape, in all its layers, comes across. There are Italianate buildings. You've also got Mies and Le Corbusier. And we weren't studying this! So it's an interesting reading of those movements through the subconsciousness of the young."

Such an intense love for cities might have been particular to that group of adolescents with the experience of Beaver carrying through to their adult lives. Holden himself has written about cities and architecture for years and his co-builders have all gone into civic- and design-minded careers. Of the buildings themselves, there's undeniable charm but, as Holden points out, lessons as well. "Density is exiting. [Beaver is] compact, tall, diverse, and," he laughs, "kind of weird." Accidental and detailed at the same time, Beaver is a just-shabby-enough model for the kind of planning Toronto needs. "Beautiful drawings seduce us," Holden says, citing the recent waterfront pitch of a maple-leaf-shaped boardwalk as an example of how large-scale design usually goes wrong. "And when it's built, all the wonderful geometric shapes and intersections, the art of it, just isn't apparent when you're standing in it."

Unlike Daniel Libeskind's oppressive whimsy (to cite another example), Beaver's whimsy is free and ersatz, closer to the way cities actually function. Unfortunately, as it is only a few feet tall, not many can live there, but it sure is a nice place to visit. BRIAN JOSEPH DAVIS

BEAVER IS ON DISPLAY JUNE 21-JULY 9, WITH ALFRED HOLDEN IN ATTENDANCE JUNE 24. FREE. THE DESIGN EXCHANGE, 234 BAY. 416-363-6121.

I think the age of imaginary metropolises constructed lovingly out of cereal boxes and pringles tube is behind us, yet another victim of the digital age. Today's imaginary lands are now the realm of Macromedia and Adobe, with the personal touches changing in form and growing in detail. Now the imaginary landscape can be one where every block, every street name, every countour, and every angle each being created for a specific reason in the mind of its creator. Maybe one day 30 years down the road these digial creations will be exhibited at the Design Exchange, reminding the public once again of the role that creativity could play in urban design, if we would only let it.

I wonder if Alfred Holden picked out specific places for him and all his friends to live in his urban creation.

Oh, I admit, the geek that I am, did imaginary metropoli in an imaginary country using the backs of desk calendar sheets and a 0.5 HB mechanical pencil. I kept many of them. The country was split into provinces, each with their own distinctive highway shield, with fantastic rail and bus networks and urban site plans and architectural landmarks. As I got older, the cities got more complex and refined, each metropolis more impressive then the last, but all fitting together. Sim City was great, but it never got down to the level of detail I wanted, the landscapes and the building and land plans.

I have one of these maps that I did in Grade 1, laminated for me by my teacher.

I stopped as I got busier, but I still dream once in a while.

I recall doing mine in Lego. All white...very minimalist against the green baseplate, with bridges done using arched blocks, etc. Given the lack of round pieces in the Lego system, the cityscape is decidedly boxy and MINTish. I migrated to drawing and sketching plans after that...

AoD

I think the age of imaginary metropolises constructed lovingly out of cereal boxes and pringles tube is behind us, yet another victim of the digital age. Today's imaginary lands are now the realm of Macromedia and Adobe, with the personal touches changing in form and growing in detail. Now the imaginary landscape can be one where every block, every street name, every countour, and every angle each being created for a specific reason in the mind of its creator. Maybe one day 30 years down the road these digial creations will be exhibited at the Design Exchange, reminding the public once again of the role that creativity could play in urban design, if we would only let it.

OTOH one might argue that as far as incentive-building goes, what the digital age taketh away, the virtuous goal of reclaiming and recycling trash and discarded goods (whose popularity only seems to increase with each generation) giveth back...

Back