News   Aug 30, 2024
 3.4K     2 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 3.2K     1 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 712     0 

Beach Real Estate: Fairly priced or not?

The lot is sort of small, but the location couldn't be better. The bottom of Silver birch is about where the boardwalk starts and has steps right onto the beach. I couldn't imagin a better place to raise a family. The beach has a very community atmosphere which is really cool. Given the lot size I'd say it's fairly agressively priced (I'll rephrase that - VERY agressively priced), but with that said there are very few beach homes (esspecially south of queen) that ever come on the market and they know they can get top dollar.

Check your PM, I have a little more info for you there.

My friends who live on Silver Birch, near that house, are delighted by what property inflation will mean for them, should they decide to sell. So they'd probably advise: go for it, get into a bidding war even.

I believe this house is on a double lot that used to be a fourplex. There's a huge mansion to the east that sold for about $2.6 million. The Beach is a great neighbourhood, though Queen is wildly commercialized from what it was like in the early '70's. My new neighbour in Riverdale has just moved from there.

The Beach is a great neighbourhood, though Queen is wildly commercialized from what it was like in the early '70's.
I lived in the Beach area on Fallingbrook with my parents from about 1987 to 1996 and always loved the area. My high school Malvern Collegiate couldn't have been more different than the Malvern area in Scarlem.

Now, my wife lived in the Beaches from 1971 until 1998, and agrees that the area never used to be so touristy. She remembers when the shops along Queen were squarely targeted at the locals, including the large Woolworths at Queen and Lee. IMO, the area started going crazy once the music and beach festivals started.

When I was in art school in the early 1970's I had a friend who lived out there. She and I would go to a place on Queen called the Beach Cafe ( or something ) now and then, which was one of the very few passable new restaurants. Nothing out there was trendy, just the same decent, sedate, slighty rundown, dull old Toronto that existed just about everywhere else. Like Queen West, the Danforth, Little Italy etc. etc. that neighbourhood has changed beyond belief over the decades.

The whitepainters started renovating Cabbagetown in the '60's, so the pocket you live in was already well on the way to becoming gentrified by the '70's, and prices had risen. One of my OCA teachers renovated his house on Metcalfe in '72, then moved across the valley to Riverdale where prices were cheaper and did a wonderful renovation to his new place on Langley.

Back