News   Sep 12, 2024
 312     0 
News   Sep 11, 2024
 2.6K     7 

Bay Street

buildup

Member Bio
Reaction score
Toronto has invested a great deal of its building energy into Bay street in recent years; we can all list finished, under way, and proposed developments from Trump up to Four Seasons at Yorkville. I am sort of concenred that despite many good buildings such as:
- Trump
- Bay Adelaide
- Lumiere
- Murano & Burano
- 880 govt
- U condos
- Four Seasons

Good old buildings like:
- MacDonald block
- Manulife
- City Hall

And buildings impressive in their scale:
- ROCP

I am not sure its going to come together into anything more than an impressive canyon. This may be because few of the buildings refer to one another, too much mediocre stock, or some problem at street level.

What are your thoughts about the impression a drive from Front to Yorkville will provide in 5 years? And what steps might the city take to enhance the experience?

Perhaps model it after this street?

Only with hedges (great for winter) and flowers and sculptures in the median instead. "The street of titans." aka, sculptures of famous Bay St tycoons from years past and present. Include separated bike lanes, again inspired by the masters in Montreal.

Perhaps model it after this street?

Only with hedges (great for winter) and flowers and sculptures in the median instead. "The street of titans." aka, sculptures of famous Bay St tycoons from years past and present. Include separated bike lanes, again inspired by the masters in Montreal.

You know, I agree. Bay Street needs a median. I think once it`s all said and done Bay Street will be quite a drive from Yorkville down to Queen's Quay.

I don't find anything on University in Montreal that I particularly want to see on Bay. One twirl and five clicks away from urbandreamer's direction to the masters one finds hideous weed encrusted "planters" in a concrete median as the street devolves into on-ramps. Even the portions with a median a few clicks north show what - a few trees with lots of bare dirt and cracked up concrete barriers. Masters? Between their University and our University, I would take ours in a second.

Not that there aren't things to emulate from Montreal, but I often find urbandreamer's comments a bit overstated - in this case, almost laughably so.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I guess you see what you want to see.

University2.jpg

University3.jpg

I agree, I'm not sure I see what makes that street in Montreal so special. I love the density and scale of Bay Street. All it needs in my opinion is some tree plantings and improved sidewalks/street furniture. A little public art is always a nice addition too.

IMO, Bay St is a great example of poor urban development. The area is devoid of character. The buildings are generally ugly and seem disconnected from the rest of the community. There is nothing other than concrete tying this area together.

How can it be improved? Not sure really. Perhaps a median but not one like on University. Instead I'm picturing one that is parklike - trees, natural plant life etc. and maybe a petting zoo for the kids (kidding).

I merely pointed to the U ave Mtl as a starting point. Btw, U av Mtl as it leads to the expressway is being entirely revamped, so there's a reason why it wasn't made over. Due to crappy Canadian winters, I'd like to see a very lush green centre median on Bay Street--think hedges, flowers, sculptures and other art. Perhaps someday I'll come up with a conceptual plan to show y'all....

urbandreamer, I don't mean to come down too heavy, I quite share your admiration for Montreal. In this particular case, I found the term "masters" as applied to Montreal really very overstated, especially to a humdrum street like University, but as a "starting point", I suppose. I would see Bloor Street as perhaps a model as well.

As for the plans, good for them and I hope it works out.

Bay Street needs a makeover in the Financial District. The street name is repeated across Canada in reference to the stock exchange and banks, but it doesn't reflect its national prominence or wealth at all. The first thing it needs is for the overhead wires to be buried and high-end street lighting installed (perhaps a design with gold trim).

It could be done with public space improvement money from development in the area.

Bay Street needs a makeover in the Financial District. The street name is repeated across Canada in reference to the stock exchange and banks, but it doesn't reflect its national prominence or wealth at all. The first thing it needs is for the overhead wires to be buried and high-end street lighting installed (perhaps a design with gold trim).

It's interesting that financial districts (our King and Bay, Wall Street in New York, or LaSalle Street in Chicago) lack urban design elements such as street furniture. Everything there looks utilitarian and st, and sidewalks have to be less cluttered with street furniture to handle the volume of pedestrians.

Perhaps the Financial District could get its own branding, such as unique ("acorn") street signs.

Back