153     0 
News   Sep 12, 2024
 194     0 
News   Sep 12, 2024
 889     0 

Bay & College projects

B

buildup

This area is going to rival the downtown core if all the proposals come through. It would be interesting to compare the numbers & heights in the respective residential and commercial cores.

I'm including three ROCP, three Murano/Burano in my calculations.

I think the next cycle is going to bring big things to that intersection. I could easily see two large commercial towers on the SW and NW corners, as well as something else immediately to the North of Burano.

The Addison car dealership is closing. I have no inside info as to what is going there, but it would be quite surprising if it were not another condo.

Do not forget to add Lumiere to your calculation.

Also, wasn't there a proposal or idea going around to develop on top of the College Park Apartment building (winners/dominion/Tim Hortons) at College/Yonge? (I'm not thinking of the original college park either).

I live right near this intersection and it is great (for lack of a better work). It has the ideal mix of institutional, residential, office, retail, medical, and recreational/park uses, transit supportive densities, attractive (or soon-to-be attractive) streetscapes and access to higher order transit (subway, streetcar and Bay bus lanes). It is really only a quick walk to Yorkville, UofT, Ryerson, City Hall/NPS, Chinatown, and the Eaton Centre. But the density and mix of designs, heights and styles are the real selling points.

Also, wasn't there a proposal or idea going around to develop on top of the College Park Apartment building (winners/dominion/Tim Hortons) at College/Yonge? (I'm not thinking of the original college park either).

Are you talking about the neutral-looking block atop the south end of Eaton's College?

I was at the Carlu today, looking at the giant model of the original plan for College Park. It was only after I left that I realised that the southern block was partially built, up to the third storey. The details match the north block perfecty - they were just cut off at the halfway mark when work stopped. Amazing. And sad that, because of that nasty grey slab, that it never can be completed (even if it were deemed a good idea).

Well, remember, too, that Eatons College as built extended all the way to Bay--but the balance of the College/Bay frontage (where Maclean Hunter now stands) was only one storey! (Most of that single-storey facade was reused and relocated, I believe.)

College Park itself is only the unfinished podium for a tall tower that was never built in the 1920's is that not correct?

Indeed it was,

In 1928, Eaton's announced plans for the largest retail and office complex in the world to be constructed on the site, featuring 5,000,000 square feet (465,000 square metres) of retail space and a 38-storey New York-style skyscraper. Just as the war had intervened a decade earlier, however, the Great Depression curtailed the grandiose plans for the site. The first phase of the project, a department store of 600,000 square feet (56,000 square metres), was the only part of the complex that was ever built. On October 30, 1930, the new store was opened by Lady Flora McCrea Eaton, the matriarch of the Eaton Family, and her son John David Eaton, the future president of the company.

Even though the rest of the complex was never constructed, the new store was nonetheless a true retail palace, the likes of which had never been seen in Toronto, and was a testament to the retail dominance of the Eaton's chain at that time. Tyndall limestone and granite were used for the imposing exterior, and marble was imported from Europe for the interior columns and colonnade. Lady Eaton arranged for two entire rooms to be removed from two manor houses in England and reassembled in the furniture department of the College Street store. The French architect Jacques Carlu (who later designed the Rainbow Room in New York City and the Eaton's Ninth Floor (or the "9ieme") in Montreal), was retained to design the interior of the Eaton's Seventh Floor, including the 1300-seat Eaton Auditorium and the elegant Round Room restaurant. Itself an Art Moderne masterpiece, the Eaton's Seventh Floor was at the heart of Toronto's cultural life for many years. The Auditorium played host to the major performers of its day, including Billie Holiday, Duke Ellington and Frank Sinatra, not to mention the National Ballet of Canada. Canada's own Glenn Gould, fond of the Auditorium's excellent acoustics, used the hall for a number of his recordings.

ecs-photo2.jpg

^^ love it. That original picture is my desktop background.

And I know this isn't exactly a unique opinion but, damn, how amazing would it have been if that tower was actually completed?

the area is going to look ten times better than that with all
the proposed and under construction projects

Back