News   Jul 16, 2024
 509     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Balcony Furniture

sungs

Member Bio
Reaction score
Looking for ideas/suggestions for balcony furniture...most likely a table and 2 chairs. What kind of materials are ideal if you want to leave the furniture on your balcony all year round? I saw a couple of Sattelite chairs on a balcony that looked cool, but they seem to wide. Ideas?

Wood, of course, is fine for outdoors but I would guess it should be treated. Wicker, rattan, and wrought iron come to mind.

Up Country has some amazing outdoor furniture, but prices are super expensive. Dot appears to specialize in outdoor stuff, but I've never been. I was at The Bay the other day picking up towels and walked by some real nice Brian Gluckstein patio furniture. Appeared to be of very great value - nice look for the price. I didn't stop to check out the quality, but definitely worth looking into.

Not furniture, but decking for the floor is something to consider.

UV, there is a thread somewhere where decking is discussed -- I can't remember, were you involved in that one?

One thing to think about is weight. If you've got a lot of wind, you don't want the balcony furniture to be flying off. Patio umbrellas can be a problem.

Smart consideration, Lucy.

Yeah, I was involved in that decking thread. OP, it's not balcony furniture per se, but do a search on that if you might be interested. Definitely warms up a concrete balcony.

As long as there's no metal, it should be ok. With the harsh winters we have here and only 3-4 months you'll use your balcony, I personally would not spend a lot on patio furniture. Go to the cheaper stores, or even wait until the end of the season to get a good deal.

We use our balcony usually from March to October, although not this March because of the crappy weather.

Just curious to know if there is anything out there that one can use to cover the concrete flooring of the balcony and make it look like grass - artificial grass carpeting or something like that ?

Here's a link to the aforementioned balcony decking thread: http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?12553-Condo-Balcony-Decking/page2

At post #26 on this page you'll see a before and after photo that I took, including furniture. I leave the small table and chairs out year 'round, the set was fairly cheap (Sears) and I specifically wanted the rocker/swivel base on the chairs because it makes it easy to manoeuvre around to take in the view when out having a drink or a smoke. The recliner chair at the far end is from Lafuma http://www.lafumafurniture.com/home.jsp, but there are less expensive options available around the city. I have 2 of them now that I use in the warmer weather and then fold up and put away in my locker for the winter.

I bought this set from Zellers last August, it was on sale for $249 which is not bad for a 4 pcs set with cushions. Had to go all over the city to find it but it was perfect for our patio as its not too big.
The material is plastic like so its good outside during the winter and the cushions get stored in the table.
999.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

I saw a few really nice sets (Martha Stewart) at Home Depot on Sunday. I need new pads for my balcony chairs but I'm thinking that I'm just going to replace them all with one set that I saw on the weekend. Nice stuff and fairly reasonable.

Ikea has a sale on this week. I hear Crate & Barrel has some nice stuff but I haven't checked it out yet. Also heard that Lowe's has good stuff. I didn't like what I saw at Canadian Tire.

Wrought iron patio furniture is thought to be one of the most sturdy and the heaviest Cast Iron Patio Furniture choices. If cared for properly, it will last for years to come. Wrought iron is made when round or square iron bars are heated over a hot flame, and then manipulated into different shapes.

The reason it was the only outdoor choice at one time is because its resistance abilities. No other kind of patio furniture was able to withstand the weather elements without deteriorating. However, Wrought Iron Patio Furniture was able to last for years. Unfortunately, if proper care is not given it will eventually look atrocious with rust.

Canadian Tire has a few sets suitable for small balconies: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2/OutdoorLiving/4/PatioFurniture/BistroConversationSets.jsp

These can also be left outside in winter as long as the balcony doesn't get too windy.

Thanks for posting this. I bought the Palermo 3 piece rocker set. Absolutely love it! I'm out on by balcony every day now just to kick back and relax. The chairs are so comfortable, and sit lower than a normal deck chair which i like as it makes me feel comfortable on the high floor. You do need some decent space for this set though. At Casa we have large wrap around balconies so it's no problem, but in my previous condo they would not have fit. I'd say you need at least 12 ft. of balcony length, more or less.

Back