News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 404     0 

Are you in favor of Google Streetview project?

gstreetwalker

Member Bio
Reaction score
Considering the privacy issues and benefits of Google Streetview. Are you in favor of Google Streetview in Canada?

While I agree that there are some valid privacy concerns with Google's streetview, I think it's an interesting project and provides a huge cool factor to being able to see the streetscape in a city.

However, having said that, what is the actual business value of this project? I fail to see how they are able to make money off of it, as there are no ads or anything that comes with this view, and it sure as heck costs a lot of money to have someone drive around and then process all those images, plus the ongoing hosting.

It's a moment in time of public space, and not a live video stream, therefore I see no privacy issue here with what they've done. Bring (or shall I say Bing) it on.

Privacy is a moving target, and not always relevant. They blur faces and remove images flagged as inappropriate by users. I think that's sufficient.

Some stuff done in the name of 'privacy' confuses me, honestly - like blurring license plates in photos. It's not like a license plate is a private thing. It's visible everywhere you take your car.

I do agree that I don't see how StreetView could ever make Google any money, though. Best I can figure is that they developed it because they want to keep their edge in the online mapping space. If they didn't do StreetView, Microsoft or someone else would have. It's all about mindshare.

(I assume Google Maps is the most popular online maps service today, though there does still seem to be a stubborn group of baby boomers who continue to use 'MapQuest' as a verb, implying some people must still be using that service.)

I'd normally have no problem with it, but what exactly is the point of this other than saying "Hey, this is the street I live on!"

I mean, I'm just thinking if it's just something to make Google earth look big, I don't think they should be spending so much money and risking so many people's privacy (or at least the settlements that could follow) on such a small thing. I think I need to know more about exactly what this project is trying to accomplish before I agree/disagree with it.

It's great for finding locations before you actually go to a location. If you don't have the address, or the address is inaccurate, it could be useful.

Imagine booking a hotel, and wanting to see what the neighbourhood is like.

At the same time, that could kind of unfairly portray neighbourhoods depending on what was going on when the photos were taken.

"Hey, maybe we should go play hockey at Christie Pitts - let's check it out on Google Street View. Oh crap."

When my partner was looking for a sublet in New York through craigslist, we sniffed out a scam by comparing interior window shots (and even a backyard shot) posted for a certain apartment with what we could see on google street view. The windows were completely different, and it was clear there couldn't be a back yard as described because of all the businesses we saw on the first floor.

So there's at least one more great use for it.

Some stuff done in the name of 'privacy' confuses me, honestly - like blurring license plates in photos. It's not like a license plate is a private thing. It's visible everywhere you take your car.
/QUOTE]

I never understood that either ;)

I do not see a Privacy issue with this tool. It is not like I can look into someones home.

If they actual archive the images over time then this would be a great tool in 10 to 20 years to see how an area has changed.

I find it to be a useful tool to see a neighbourhood without going there. For realty purposes there seems to be a lot of value to it. I don't understand the privacy issues associated with a shot in time in a public place. The car going by happened to have a camera but it could have had a priest, your spouse or lover, a police officer, or anyone else. My belief is that if you are ashamed of something you are doing in public then don't do it in public and perhaps consider not doing it at all. If someone really has a problem with Street View I really question what they are hiding from. I doubt people would have issue getting caught being courteous or doing a good deed.

"Hey, maybe we should go play hockey at Christie Pitts - let's check it out on Google Street View. Oh crap."

Sunnyside Park isn't looking too good either. Too bad I didn't know the Google car was driving around and where. I would have liked to have put on a red and white striped sweater and tuque and some dark rimmed glasses to get captured on camera.

I'd normally have no problem with it, but what exactly is the point of this other than saying "Hey, this is the street I live on!"

I mean, I'm just thinking if it's just something to make Google earth look big, I don't think they should be spending so much money and risking so many people's privacy (or at least the settlements that could follow) on such a small thing. I think I need to know more about exactly what this project is trying to accomplish before I agree/disagree with it.

Personally, I thought it was obvious what they were planning to go with the images the moment Street View was first released. And it looks like Google is almost ready to roll it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGXK4jKN_jY#t=5m15s

(Garmin's stock dropped 17% when Google announced this today, and TomTom's stock was down by 20%.)

I currently searching for an new house to but and MLS and google earth/streetview have been better tools than my agent.

Back