875     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     1 

Are town homes a good investment?

cuzzin_elias

Banned
Member Bio
Reaction score
Is there any advantage/disadvantage of buying a 2 bedroom townhouse over a 2 bedroom condo? I've always heard that townhomes are the worst investment, but never seen any facts supporting this.

I know of no evidence to support this. Perhaps the biggest difference is that townhouse complexes usuallly have minimal "common elements", therefore monthly payments to the condo corporation are usually not high. This comment doesn't apply to those which include underground garages.

I should have made clear in my earlier post that I was referring to condo townhouses, as compared to condo apartments. I think that was the intent of the original question.

Townhouses can be either condominium or freehold. These terms describe forms of ownership, not the physical structure. In a freehold situation, of course, you would own your unit outright, it would be accessed from a public street, and there would be no condo common elements (internal roadways, playground area, etc.), and therefore no condo fees to maintain common elements.

Back