News   May 21, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 605     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 473     0 

Arch. Record on "Camera" (1026 Queen West)

Yes, Camera is pretty cool. Actually saw Egoyan there one night about a year ago.

Very cool. Few things make me happier than the removal of corrugated sheet metal (or some other cheap junk) to reveal the historic beauty of a building that's been hidden for so long. Disappearing parking lots are another thing...

Agree 1000%.

"^ Not just in Toronto but in many of the small towns and villages of the province you'll find many hidden gems beneath these hideous false facades. Some more enlightened places offer incentives to encourage building owners to do the work, as part of a larger initiative to revive their central cores. It would be nice to see something of this sort in some of our neighbourhoods in T.O. "

A few cases where that's happened: Designer Fabrics on Queen St. in Parkdale (metal siding stripped off), an old furniture place on N side Dundas E of Keele (metal grillage stripped off; still evident on side party walls); and most prominently, the ex-Woolworths at Queen & Yonge in the mid-80s...

"Some more enlightened places offer incentives to encourage building owners to do the work, as part of a larger initiative to revive their central cores. It would be nice to see something of this sort in some of our neighbourhoods in T.O."

I understand that there are some such incentives in place here, but as with so many other things in TO, they seem laughably insufficient for a city of this size. An excellent example of a strip that would benefit enormously from beefed up incentives of this kind (in addition to many others around town) is the stretch of Yonge north of Wellesley, mentioned in another thread. There are several rows of potential beauties along there that are effectively hiding in plain sight due to their cruddy state of repair. I suspect that the majority of people walking along Yonge aren't even aware that these are historic structures until it's drawn to their attention - imo, this is due entirely to the current condition of the buildings, and not to any of their inherent properties.

shawn:

"People with blazers that have silk-screened words on them."

Seriously?

Brian, I know the buildings you are referring to. The area between Wellesely and Bloor definately has a lot of potential. Maybe when the new developments happen at Bloor/Yonge the area will improve. I don't necessarily dislike the character of the area and somewhat odd mix of commerce there but it would be nice to see the buildings spruced up in the manner of 'Camera'. The area does seem to lack an identity too, bit of a crossroads.

Back