News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 387     0 

Apartment fountains - mid-century whimsy

rickmcginnis

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm working on a potential piece about the fountains that builders once considered a sign of real elegance and style, back in the heyday of post-war apartment construction in Toronto. I know there are relics of this era all over the city, but as a non-driver I have a hard time finding them. Here are just two examples, from the same neighbourhood - Islington Avenue just north of Bloor. If anyone can point me to a few more, I'd be terribly grateful.

I know there's an impressive fountain in front of the high-rise apartments on Lascelles Blvd, just near Davisville station, as I once dated a woman who lived there. A friend told me that the owners had swans swimming in them, and that he'd go up from Forest Hill with his family to take a look - this would be back in the early '60s, I think. (This might be an apocryphal story, like the herd of deer at the old Valhalla Inn, but my friend's memory is pretty reliable.)

Photos or addresses would help a lot, and thanks!

The Greenwin complex on Davisville, just before Mount Pleasant (at 225 Davisville and further west just past Pailton Crescent) has a series of elaborate fountains that are still functioning (in warm weather, of course).

The Four Thousand, at 4000 Yonge, is another.

Here's what the management company (details and photo at http://www.parkwillow.ca/) says: "Country estate living in the city is what you'll have at the most prestigious location in Toronto. The Four Thousand is nestled in a wilderness setting, located at the southwest corner of Yonge Street and York Mills Road. Unique to any other building, we have two lobby entrances, which are separated by gorgeous landscaped courtyards. Within each courtyard are magnificent fountains that give serenity to this peaceful setting. Fine dining, theatres, subway and shopping are all within walking distance." It can't be that prestigious if I lived there for a while...

May not be the most whimsical fountain, but very '60s. And practical, too, to drown out the noise of neighbours, cars, and the 401 in the summer when windows are open. Imagine the Rear Window courtyard with a fountain...Thorwald would have gotten away with it and Ms. Lonelyhearts would be dead.

Two of the fountains at the towers on Lascelles have been rehabilited in the past few years - sort of a renovation/restoration combo - and they look good. The fountain facing Lascelles, however, has sat empty and derelict for as long as I can remember. It's like a crater. Btw, the older people in the neighbourhood also talk about the swans, so I'm pretty sure they existed. Now it's probably just pigeons :)

There is a fountain at the side door of Market Square condos (accessed from the walkway going from the Metro store to the Sculpture Garden) and one in the "drive-through" of the condo on west side of Frederick Street between Front and King. (This has an old "Gargoyle" from ?? reused as its spout.) There is also an outside one at the main entrance to 280 Simcoe - it was still on yesterday, rather artfully covered in ice.

The ne plus ultra fountain near my old neighbourhood at Bathurst and Eglinton was at the Marquesa, 2121 Bathurst, the most luxurious apartment building in the area in the 60's (first building with air-conditioning). To add to its delight, it even had a coloured light-show at night (a la Princess Margaret Fountain at the CNE). It's still operating, but I believe without the coloured lights.

2121bath-1.jpg

As soon as I saw this thread title, I immediately thought of the wicked clam vs. mermaid-on-horse battle fountain that you photographed. Love that thing! I never saw it spraying water though.

Back