News   May 16, 2024
 239     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 467     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 2.3K     0 

Anyone know of good instrument stores in TO?

A

afransen TO

I'm in the market for a better trumpet, and before a lay down in excess of a thousand dollars, I'm interested in doing some research. Do you guys know of decent retailers in Toronto or area that carry trumpets?

Thanks guys.

I've already looked into Long and McQuaid. Based on their website, it seems they don't carry much of a range and not really at my pricepoint besides.

I'm leasing a trumpet from St. John's Music right now - www.stjohnsmusic.com/ - they carry pretty much the full range of Yamahas, from student models up to Xenos, so if you're looking for other models you might want to look elsewhere. I'm just leasing temporarily, as I had about 3 hours notice to find a trumpet last year...I plan on finding a good used trumpet eventually, or possibly finding a rent- or lease- to own Xeno or Strad or something along those lines.

Your best bet might be to ask music teachers and ~pro trumpet players where they got theirs, if they have friends selling trumpets, if they've been ripped off or pleasantly surprised by stores or models in the past, etc., as that's probably the best (maybe the only) way to find good used instruments unless you get very lucky. A few friends have scored great trumpets that way, in excellent condition and for a fraction of retail price.

Long & McQuade only carries beginner models so that rich parents can buy instruments for their kids to try out or start taking lessons when they're really young. Cosmo had a crummy selection of useds when I visited, but instead of browsing the new trumpets, I was more interested in trying out a piccolo trumpet :) . I'm under the impression that retail prices for new trumpets are pretty much similar at any store, but you'd have to compare to be sure. Ask any music teachers you know if they get discounts at instrument stores and ask them to buy it for you. Theoretically, eBay or American dealers might be cheaper in some cases, but there's that added risk and you don't get to try it out before you buy. Remember to factor in the cost of a hard case or a warranty, or stuff like that.

I don't know how much you play, but if you intend for this to be the trumpet you play for decades, spend a little extra if you need to, get the best trumpet you can afford, and you won't regret it. The good thing about trumpets is that the highest-end models are arguably the cheapest compared to any other instrument. Better to be in debt when you're young than when you're about to retire.

Anyone know of any good spots for Indian instruments (maybe along Gerrard/Little India)?

Thanks a lot khatru. I'm looking to spend about a thousand. I want a decent trumpet, and I don't want to go crazy and a lay down $2500 for a professional horn.

I've been playing for about six years now, and the horn I'm using now just isn't up to par. I'm not in a big hurry, and I think I might look into renting or rent to own as you say.

Thanks again, everyone.

I'd say only rent-to-own a trumpet if you can't afford to pay for it in full right now because over the life of the rent-to-own schedule - usually about 36 months - you'll end up paying at least 1/3 more than retail, which seems like it sucks, but the payments are so low that they're easy to absorb each month. What's a couple of hundred bucks spread out over several years if it means the difference between an OK trumpet and a much better one? It'd be hard to find a good used $2500 trumpet but it's possible. Before I get a new trumpet I think I'll get a couple of clinic lessons and maybe a new mouthpiece to see how much I can get out of my current trumpet and, therefore, a better idea of what trumpet I'd need to buy to improve.
Or maybe I'll cave and buy a cornet...then a flugel, then a picc, then an Eb...*prays to win the lottery*

The artist Price has been known to go into Songbird.

Vincent Price? Back from the dead and looking for a good deal on a used Fender Telecaster.

Back