News   Jul 26, 2024
 710     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.7K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.5K     1 

American Accents of Toronto

Is this a little case of some Montreal snobbery happening - as in Toronto is just like any other American city? ;)

i don't think it is. i did the test and came out as Neutral. Other Torontonians have done the test and score Northern, Western and Canadian.

"Canadian
People from outside North America probably think you`re from the States, but over here we wouldn`t make such a mistake. "
Makes sense.

My fiancee in Toronto has the exact same accent as I do, with the notable exception of the words 'process' and 'dollar'. She has had many people from western Canada tell her she sounds like "an American".

Thanks for the test... a fun diversion.

My results:

" Northern

You have a Northern accent. That could either be the Chicago/Detroit/Cleveland/Buffalo accent (easily recognizable) or the Western New England accent that news networks go for."

I guess I should be a tv meteorologist or something...

:)

Western

Western is kind of neutral, but not quite since it`s still possible to tell where you`re from. So you might not actually be from the West (but you probably are). If you really want to sound "neutral," learn how to say "stock" and "stalk" differently.

damn you hollywood!!!

North Central - What people call the "Minnesota accent." Sounds almost Canadian. You may have even been asked if you were from Canada before.

Tan Ciera! Tan Ciera! Go Bears!

The whole thing is kind of hoaky. I can't decide whether or not I say right and price the same as ride and prize. As subtle as that difference may be, it makes my accent either Canadian or Western depending on whether I say yes or no. However, if I was to indicate that I say "I" the same as "ah" (nothing is more American than that!), I would still have a Canadian accent.

Hmmm... I get " North Central - What people call the Minnesota accent. Sounds almost Canadian. You may have even been asked if you were from Canada before."

But when I watch the movie Fargo I find the accents fairly ridiculous and hilarious, and quite different from how I speak. Maybe they over-exaggerated them for the movie? :)

My result was Canadian, but like Chuck, this decision seems to hinge on how I say "ride" (like price?). If I change that one answer then suddenly I have a Western accent.

Some people say I sound American. I just offer that it was probably the childhood Mel Blanc influence

I can't decide whether or not I say right and price the same as ride and prize. As subtle as that difference may be, it makes my accent either Canadian or Western depending on whether I say yes or no.

This illustrates the problem with the test. It relies on you to be able to detect the differences between your vowels. It can take a trained ear a long time to be able to distinguish the sounds and know what the actual vowel qualities are. I'm guessing some of you are getting the wrong diagnosis as a result of not hearing some of your own vowel distinctions.

The "right/ride" distinction demonstrates a concept called "Canadian Raising". The difference between the vowels is quite distinct and is one of the hallmarks of our dialect. If you were born and raised here (as I was), then it is definitely in your dialect.

Back