News   Jul 22, 2024
 268     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 545     0 

Alma College: Why heritage preservation in Ontario doesn't work ...

Jarrek

Member Bio
Reaction score
Wow, this is just pretty much unreal ...

Elgin%5CSt.%20Thomas%5CAlma%20College%5Cfront%20facade%20from%20northeast.jpg

Alma slated for demolition

Wed, October 3, 2007

Critics are fuming that St. Thomas council struck a deal with the historic school's owner.

By PATRICK MALONEY, SUN MEDIA

The final bell is ringing at Alma College, with a deal between its owners and St. Thomas city council essentially clearing the way for the landmark's demolition.

Advocates of the historic former girls' school -- hailed as one of Canada's most endangered places -- were stunned by the deal and are fuming at councillors, who in turn blame the imminent loss of the 130-year-old structure on the province.

"The most disappointing thing . . . is the absolute unwillingness of the City of St. Thomas to protect this building," said Andrew Gunn of the Alma College Foundation, a group pushing for the site's preservation.

"It's absolutely shameful that they would allow this to happen."

The protracted fight over the building's future heated up in 2006, when its owner, the Zubick family of London, was denied a demolition permit by the city. The Zubicks appealed to the Ontario Municipal Board. That OMB hearing, which started two days ago, was essentially upstaged by last week's deal, in which council agreed to allow the demolition on two main conditions:

- The building's original entranceway be preserved.

- The front facade be replicated in any new structure.

The Zubicks have agreed to those terms. One St. Thomas alderman, Dave Warden, called it the "best deal" the city could manage.

But Warden also called out the Ontario Liberals, noting they intervened in another nearby heritage dispute -- blocking the destruction Moore House in Sparta -- and could do likewise here.

"We didn't feel we were going to win this fight. It's somebody else's property," Warden said.

"Somebody, (MPP Steve) Peters or somebody, will have to move on it. Look what happened in Sparta. Was that an election thing or what? I want to see if they'll move in on Alma College."

The costly spectre of a protracted OMB hearing -- it was slated to last three weeks -- put pressure on the city to settle the matter.

The hearing did continue with a public-input session last night but it's unclear if it will continue beyond that.

Dawn Doty, who has lived next to the building for 25 years and planned to attend last night's meeting, was staying positive.

"You don't give up," she said. "We're hoping for . . . anybody that can show leadership qualities to preserve Alma College."

The city has agreed to issue the demolition permit and the OMB still has to accept the deal. If it does, said Ald. Heather Jackson-Chapman, "That's it. It's the end of Alma."

Noting his clients have worked with the city, lawyer Alan Patton said yesterday he sees no reason for the OMB to "alter the terms of a fairly negotiated settlement."

The Zubicks bought the building nearly a decade ago and have said it's beyond repair. Their plans may include turning the site into a retirement home.

"They feel the settlement is fair and equitable to the municipality, to themselves and to protect the part of the property that has some intrinsic value to the community," Patton said.

Opened in 1881, the Moore Street school drew girls from around the world until it closed in 1988.

I heard that it was in terrible condition from people who have photographed and documented the building. You can't just let heritage buildings stand empty and abandoned for 20 years. In that time span plenty of decay occurs and there is the risk of vandalism and theft of antique trims and fixtures or worse yet, arson.

The building was completely unsecured. I visited the place once, the gate was wide open. I'm a bit of a paranoid, so I didn't venture too far in, but the mild December day we checked it out it sure gave the creeps.

St. Thomas has a treasure of history - the Elgin County courthouse is pretty, as is the town hall and has a long old main street, but it's very neglected, including the old New York Central railway station, the old yards, and Alma College.

The OMB... screws over our heritage again...

That is very sad, Jarrek. Shocking too that this is happening in 2007.

Before this rolls off Page 1 of General Discussions, I think it is safe to say the apathy is clear and present again, and that is a shame. There are many ways to put this back in use, but no one seems interested.

Can this structure be somehow saved for any good use?

Everyone: From the pic this structure looks somewhat neat and sturdy-but as said internally it is a mess-can it be saved for SOMETHING? That structure looks like a candidate to be gutted out and restored completely within. As we all know once they are gone...THE'RE GONE!!! LI MIKE

What ways are those if it has structural problems?

(Sorry for the delay - as the Mods and Admin people know, I had a database error last night, when I was attempting to respond to your post.)

In all scenarios you would begin with the stabilsation of the structure by a system of underpinning and bracing, with anchors and brackets of high tensile, galvanized steel. Repair is usually not part of this step, except when it endangers any subsequent work.

After stabilisation a decision can then be rationally made to either preserve a building, or to pursue a full-fledged restoration. There are different degrees of preservation: some can contain modern materials, and alterations mandated by code; others may improve the status of the building to being structurally sound but go no further – the latter is usually negotiated with the approving governmental bodies, and can be a temporary and/or transitional measure.

Full-fledged restoration is where the original materials are used, with an attempt to get the same finishes, and in some cases employing the same techniques as was used when the building was originally built, in order to approach a reasonable facsimile of the original building inside and out. Restoration requires not only more work, but also more research into the structure, and can take considerably more money to execute.

Among the things that are systematically examined for structural integrity are the roofing, supporting joists, floors, conditions of sills and foundations, material integrity and its projected life (Aspects other than structural can also be undertaken simultaneously: such as mechanical and electrical.)

Almost anything can be fixed, or if necessary replaced, but the method of fixing and replacement will differ depending on what the heritage goal is for that structure.

The Heritage Resource Act - which has both a Provincial and Municipal variation, is used in evaluating a targeted structure such as this. This is usually where heritage value is first determined. Routinely this is escalated to Federal review when there are extensive structural and/or material repair, and sometimes even when there is not. Revenue sharing and increasing the level of prestige of a given project, intermingle in any escalation pursuit.

The OMB just issued an order permitting the demolition of this historic landmark, and just after, it was set on fire and is destroyed.

I visited St. Thomas a few months ago and took a few pictures and said my last goodbye to this sad chapter in heritage preservation.

Back