News   May 08, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Air Passenger Is Grounded Over T-Shirt

D

dan e 1980

October 7, 2005
Air Passenger Is Grounded Over T-Shirt
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

RENO, Nev., Oct. 6 (AP) - A woman was ordered off a Southwest Airlines flight in Reno for wearing a T-shirt with the pictures of President Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney and an obscene word.

The woman, Lorrie Heasley of Woodland, Wash., said she planned to file a civil rights complaint against the airline over the incident, which occurred Tuesday at Reno-Tahoe International Airport.

Ms. Heasley, 32, said she wore the shirt as a joke and wanted her parents, who are Democrats, to see it when they picked her up at the airport in Portland, Ore. Ms. Heasley, who sells lumber, argued that she had a right to wear it.

"I just thought it was hilarious," Ms. Heasley told The Reno Gazette-Journal. "I have cousins in Iraq and other relatives going to war. Here we are trying to free another country, and I have to get off an airplane - over a T-shirt. That's not freedom."

Marilee McInnis, a spokeswoman for the airline, said the shirt became an issue after several passengers complained as they boarded during a scheduled stop in Reno.

After several conversations with flight attendants, Ms. Heasley agreed to cover the word with a sweatshirt. When the sweatshirt slipped while she was trying to sleep, she was ordered to wear her T-shirt inside-out or leave. She and husband, Ron, chose to leave.

Ms. McInnis said Southwest rules allowed the airline to deny boarding to anyone whose clothing was "lewd, obscene or patently offensive."

Allen Lichtenstein, a lawyer for the American Civil Liberties Union in Las Vegas, said Ms. Heasley's shirt was protected political speech under the Constitution. The real issue, Mr. Lichtenstein said, is that the airline allowed her to wear the shirt onboard and then objected only when passengers complained.

The flight originated in Los Angeles before making the stop in Reno. No one from Southwest complained about the shirt at Los Angeles International Airport, and neither the pilot nor crew members objected when she boarded the aircraft, Ms. Heasley said.

Ms. Heasley said she had been in touch with A.C.L.U. lawyers in Seattle and wanted Southwest to reimburse her for the last leg of their trip.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

wow! it's just like being in grade school.

haha thats awesome. I hope she wins. Free speech my ass.

You know, I agree it's silly, but......

......I remember when I was kid being dressed up in nice clothes to fly, as was everyone else. I wouldn't mind that mentality returning. Of course, airliners weren't cattle cars back then. Something to be said for making flying "exclusive" once more.

Free speech my ass indeed. Had she not had the f-word on the shirt, I bet no one says anything. It's not a free speech issue, merely a matter of lack of taste. Her shirt had none.

Free speech means the government isn't allowed to regualte what you say. It doesn't mean people are required to listen to it.

This is between her and the airline, and isn't protected by the Constitution.

Kevin

^^^true. but in a corporatist government where big business makes the rules, that airline, one way or another, is the government.

Good thing she wasn't in Florida where the shirt might have been deemed as threatening, and she could have been shot.

They didn't say what the "offensive" word was. No doubt it is one that has been on television already.

So silly that a swear word can cause so much havoc.

Things could be worse.

The guy next to me yesterday on AC849 from Heathrow threw up all over himself while he was asleep - and kept on sleeping!

When I went to England in May ( AC856 ) the woman next to me just before takeoff was on the wrong 'plane until she was removed.

They didn't say what the "offensive" word was. No doubt it is one that has been on television already.

The NYT today showed a partial picture of the shirt, which had the heads of Bush, Cheney and Rice with the words "Meet the....", with one letter changed from last year's movie "Meet the Fockers". That joke came out of the Daily Show.

The guy next to me yesterday on AC849 from Heathrow threw up all over himself while he was asleep - and kept on sleeping!

Yikes!

Let me guess: the plane was full and he was sitting in the aisle seat.

Thank goodness I was in Club Class with a bit of extra space between us - and the flight attendant had hung my suit jacket up.

Back