News   Aug 16, 2024
 661     0 
News   Aug 16, 2024
 536     0 

Advice on eateries near Westin Harbour Castle

Riverman

Member Bio
Reaction score
I am visiting Toronto for the Toronto International Boat Show January 7-10th, staying at the Harbour Castle. I'm interested in opinions about good quality, reasonably priced eateries in that area or nearby (we'll be using TTC as always), especially a good breakfast spot. All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks, Jeff

Cora's is a good spot for breakfast. There isn't much around the Harbour Castle area for dining. You would be better off taking the subway up the Dundas Station and eat at the The Senator Diner for either breakfast or dinner, the prices are resealable. There is lots of dining in the area as well, Another fave of mine that isn't overly expensive is Quinn's Steakhouse & Irish Bar at the Sheraton Hotel, Also near by if you like old school Italian cuisine there is Little Anthony's Italian Ristorante. Another option that' isn't far from the Harbour Castle is the Library Bar at the Royal York Hotel. Great food and great atmosphere, Also worth checking out is O&B Cafe Grill at Yonge & Front st, they sever Lunch and Dinner and on weekends they serve à la carte brunch.

I usually have good luck by seaching the Chowhounds website (Ontario page): http://chowhound.chow.com/boards/23. Chowhounds is to food what UrbanToronto is to development.

Also, check out St.Lawrence market for lunch or breakfast. Admittedly it is priced for 'tourists', but its an adventure worth undertaking. The Italian Sandwich place at the bottom of the stairs on the lower level is one of my favorite places. St.Urbain Bagels on the upper level is great for a breakfast-on-the-go too.

Last edited:
Fran's at Yonge & Front is (I assume) open 24 hours and isn't too far a walk. Food is basic but comforting.

There is also a restaurant shaped like a boat. Or a boat shaped like a restaurant? Regardless. There is a restaurant on a boat. Take a good hard look.

The Watermark pub is only a couple minutes from the Westin and it has a good breakfast/brunch and their dinners are good too. http://www.watermarkirishpub.ca/ It's on the water in Queens Quay Terminal.
I would also say Cora's is a great breakfast option on Blue Jays Way, near the Skydome.

The other place I'd suggest is the Real Sports bar beside the Air Canada Centre. For a sports bar the food is really good, and if you're into sports they have 200 tvs and one is 2-stories tall. It can be really busy though, especially on Friday and Saturday night's. http://www.realsports.ca/

There is also a restaurant shaped like a boat. Or a boat shaped like a restaurant? Regardless. There is a restaurant on a boat. Take a good hard look.
Captain John's. It was on a boat. I never went, but it was reviewed as kitschy and awful. It is permanently closed now. The boat is still there.

Keep in mind the new Longo's at York and Bremner. Only two blocks north from the hotel. They have an enormous prepared food section, more than triple the size of a regular grocery store's. There's a salad bar, pizzas, sandwiches, paninis, sushi, fruit and vegetables with dip. Plus a hot food area with Italian, Indian and Chineese foods. They have a space to eat there, but it's really the perfect place to grab something for your hotel room fridge to keep for a late night snack rather than expensive room service.

Last edited:
They charge for internet? That is insane. Even the cheap and cheerful chains like Comfort Inn and Travelodge provide it for free. Chances are you can pick up a signal anyway :) If that doesn't work, there's a Starbucks at Queen's Quay and York; also at Longo's. Other coffee shops in the area include a Second Cup (south side of Queen's Quay at York) and a Tim's in the Harbourfront Terminal building. There's also an Il Fornello's in there that's decent for supper and a Chinese place (Pearl?) although I haven't been there yet. Harbour Sports is across the road from the Westin, and as others have said there's lots to choose from in the St. Lawrence Market area which isn't too far of a walk.

Charging for internet is the biggest scam in the hotel industry, it's mostly only the 4 and 5 star hotels that are the ones charging for net. Most economy hotels like Comfort Inn, Best Western,Travelodge have free wireless.

I think all Starbucks are now free? You may have to register or something but that will come up on your browser. I've had free WiFi there through Bell for a long time but I seem to recall reading something about it now being free for everyone. Tim's doesn't have internet. Not sure about Second Cup.

Thank you for all the responses. I'll write them down as the Westin charges $25/day for wireless internet (grrrr). The B&B I usually stay at has it free.

Doesn't the Westin provide free access to their business centre to guests? That could be an option to circumvent the room fee.

Back