News   Jul 17, 2024
 252     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 948     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 558     0 

Advice on best neighbourhoods to move too?

englishrose1

Member Bio
Reaction score
I need some help and advice from some members. I hoping to move to toronto next year. Although I have to Canada a couple of times, I dont have much knowledge of al the neighbourhoods. This where I enlist the help of members to this site.

My wish list is as follows:-

A neighbourhood with good mix of ethnicity, but has a black population.

A place where it is safe to walk to the shop in the evenings, nowhere it is felt a female should not walk in the evening.

Close to subway/streetcar. Subway 1st choice

Local shops and supermarkets so not having a car at first would not be an issue.

I would like to close to markets where you can fresh produce

I enjoy going out particularly caribbean clubs and would like to live no more than a $15 ride from any club in my area.

A welcoming area.

Not much I know but any assistance would be of great help to me! Thanks

Welcome to UT englishrose. My first thought when I read your post was the area around Bathurst & St. Clair. It's wedged between affluent Forest Hill on the East and Corso Italia on the West (where rasta meets pasta). There is a subway and streetcars close by and I think it fulfills all of your requirements. Maybe someone on this forum who lives in the area can elaborate.

Welcome to UT englishrose. My first thought when I read your post was the area around Bathurst & St. Clair. It's wedged between affluent Forest Hill on the East and Corso Italia on the West (where rasta meets pasta). There is a subway and streetcars close by and I think it fulfills all of your requirements. Maybe someone on this forum who lives in the area can elaborate.

I second this. This area has a bit of north London/Kilburn feel to it too.

I agree that Bathurst and St Clair would fit well with your requirements.

I would also consider the area North of Eglinton between Alan Road and Dufferin known as Belgravia-Livingstone. It is quite a bit cheaper than Bathurst-St Clair but not nearly as urban. Lots of small detached bungalows. It does have good access to the subway and shops along Eglinton.
Check out the Torontolife Magazine site. It has a pretty comprehensive list of neighbourhoods along with pricing, transportation access and crime stats.

http://www.torontolife.com/real-estate/

hmm how about the Danforth ... bloor East - maybe around Carlaw - further west then that.

Sounds like the St. Lawrence Market hood would fit all these criteria. It's a safe and highly walkable neighbourhood. There's streetcar access that runs east/west through it on King, and from most parts you can walk to the subway either at Union Station or the King/Yonge station. The Market itself is a great resource for produce, meat and fish, and within walking distance there are three other grocery stores: Metro directly across from the Market, Sobey's on Front, and a Loblaw's at the foot of Jarvis.

The main entertainment/club district of Toronto is a short walk, streetcar or cab ride west, though I can't say if any of them are specifically "Caribbean" in nature. And finally, it goes without saying that almost every part of downtown Toronto will be racially mixed, and the St. Lawrence Market is no exception. It is also very mixed in terms of income as well, which makes for a good vibe in my opinion compared to living in a neighbourhood where everyone is wealthy or everyone is poor.

http://www.stlawrencemarketbia.ca

If you're looking on a map, the Market itself and neighbourhood centre around Jarvis and Front St.

I agree that Bathurst and St Clair would fit well with your requirements.

I would also consider the area North of Eglinton between Alan Road and Dufferin known as Belgravia-Livingstone. It is quite a bit cheaper than Bathurst-St Clair but not nearly as urban. Lots of small detached bungalows. It does have good access to the subway and shops along Eglinton.
Check out the Torontolife Magazine site. It has a pretty comprehensive list of neighbourhoods along with pricing, transportation access and crime stats.

http://www.torontolife.com/real-estate/

Yeah, Allen and Eglinton would fit your criteria. Try Marlee Ave. (just west of Allen) lots of single bungalows and apartment buildings, and its a short walk to either Glencairn or Eglinton West stn.

I find Eglinton west of Allen to be crappy, the east heading towards avenue road is much nicer.

Sounds like the St. Lawrence Market hood would fit all these criteria. It's a safe and highly walkable neighbourhood. There's streetcar access that runs east/west through it on King, and from most parts you can walk to the subway either at Union Station or the King/Yonge station. The Market itself is a great resource for produce, meat and fish, and within walking distance there are three other grocery stores: Metro directly across from the Market, Sobey's on Front, and a Loblaw's at the foot of Jarvis.

The main entertainment/club district of Toronto is a short walk, streetcar or cab ride west, though I can't say if any of them are specifically "Caribbean" in nature. And finally, it goes without saying that almost every part of downtown Toronto will be racially mixed, and the St. Lawrence Market is no exception. It is also very mixed in terms of income as well, which makes for a good vibe in my opinion compared to living in a neighbourhood where everyone is wealthy or everyone is poor.

http://www.stlawrencemarketbia.ca

If you're looking on a map, the Market itself and neighbourhood centre around Jarvis and Front St.

I agree. I have African friends who moved here from Paris, and they really dig St Lawrence.

i'd have t agree with living in the st lawrence neighbourhood. it certainly meets all of your criteria.

kensington is also a great place to live, especially if you love artists. an eclectic jamfest, no doubt. anywhere along spadina south of bloor is also great.

Yup, you can't go wrong with this suggestion.

Back