945     0 
News   Aug 16, 2024
 617     0 

Advice for Urban Planning Grad Programs

skc

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I've been following urbantoronto for quite a while as a leecher. So this is going to be my very first post. selfish one at that. lol. I was wondering if anyone would give me advice over which graduate programs should I choose for my masters in planning. So far, I have received offers from York and University of Toronto. York is providing me with a generous funding offer. UofT at the moment has provided me no money. Finances aside, which program would be best for me if I want to be a practicing urban planning in the workplace. I am also anticipating offers from Ryerson and Waterloo, but I haven't heard back from then as of yet. At the moment it is just between UofT and York. I just want more opinions so that I do not make a biased judgement. I am currently finishing my undergrad at UofT, and contrary to most people who do their undergrad, I actually enjoy the challenging nature of the programs there.

I just finished York's program last April. I can't really comment on other programs, and really, just because I liked York's program doesn't mean you will, but if you have any questions about the program feel free to ask them here or PM me and I'll be glad to answer.

York probably has the most well-known program in the industry. Also, I've heard you should never do your graduate studies at the same university as your undergrad. I don't know why.

I've heard you should never do your graduate studies at the same university as your undergrad. I don't know why.

I think this may only be true if you want to work in academia. The idea behind receiving degrees from different institutions is that by doing so you are introduced to different ideas from different professors and students at different programs. You gain a broader knowledge base and philosophies and lose insular the thinking that might plague you if you stay in one place.

Back