254     0 
News   Oct 01, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Oct 01, 2024
 716     0 

A Lakeshore Road Journey... (Part I)

D

Darkstar416

This is part of the back-log of pics I have on my hard drive. These are all taken on Canada Day when simply Dan and myself decided to drive the entire length of Lakeshore Road, between Mississauga and Hamilton.

On the way, we'll stop in Port Credit, downtown Oakville, downtown Burlington, Aldershot and Dundas.

Here we go...

PORT CREDIT

There's something a little forced about the place, but it's hard to not be impressed by some of the development and street life. It still needs a tonne of work as most of Lakeshore is still strip mall-esque, but it's getting there.

1970s Port Credit (near the GO Station)
DSCN0831.jpg

New development along Lakeshore that is pretty darn close to perfect.
DSCN0832.jpg

Same development. OK, maybe too perfect and almost Disney-esque.
DSCN0833.jpg

Some typical housing stock on the area that used to house the famous St. Lawrence Starch Factory. Most of the parking for these housing developments was underground.
DSCN0834.jpg

Lake Ontario!
DSCN0835.jpg

Very decent waterfront in Port Credit and well-used as well. The people in the area reminded me a bit of what you'd find in The Beach (and I don't mean that in a necessarily good or bad way).
DSCN0836.jpg

Jet-Ski and a fountain.
DSCN0837.jpg

More pics of developments along the waterfront...
DSCN0839.jpg

DSCN0841.jpg

DSCN0843.jpg

DSCN0844.jpg

Machinery from the old St. Lawrence Starch Factory. Good to see history being taken seriously in the 'saug.
DSCN0846.jpg

A development a small block north of the Lake.
DSCN0847.jpg

Looks like an aA project, but we weren't sure.
DSCN0848.jpg

Another project.
DSCN0849.jpg

Pedestrain alley to a well-used public square on Lakeshore Road (although Canada Day programming "may" have had something to do with all the people).
DSCN0850.jpg

More of the square/park...
DSCN0851.jpg

DSCN0852.jpg

Good massing, but looks a bit like a cheaply-built school.
DSCN0853.jpg

Port Credit's old post office...
DSCN0854.jpg

DSCN0855.jpg

DSCN0857.jpg

A marina/bar.
DSCN0858.jpg

The lighthouse comes off as totally tacky and is designed to amuse motorists on Lakeshore Rd and definitely not to guide boats into the harbour...
DSCN0859.jpg

DSCN0860.jpg

The Credit River.
DSCN0861.jpg

Port Credit offers some strange juxtapositions (in a very Toronto way actually).
DSCN0862.jpg

I thought of Adma when I saw this on a late 1960's / early 1970s building.
DSCN0863.jpg

OAKVILLE

Surprisingly nice and the urbanity felt more natural than Port Credit in many ways. It's also richer, but more refined too. Some of it actually looks like a Yorkville-by-the-Lake.

Various shots from around downtown...
DSCN0864.jpg

DSCN0865.jpg

Not sure what this building was, but good to see it being re-used and in decent shape.
DSCN0866.jpg

Another one for Adma.
DSCN0867.jpg

There's a decent streetwall along most of the downtown portion.
DSCN0868.jpg

Unlike many of the GTA's downtowns (e.g., Brampton) there's plenty of chains along with the independents in Oakville.
DSCN0869.jpg

Yorkville or Oakville? Hmmm.
DSCN0880.jpg

Sixteen Mile Creek and marina...
DSCN0870.jpg

DSCN0872.jpg

The Oakville Centre (which I believe incorporates a community centre, performing arts spaces, a gallery, etc.). In fact, I believe "four fags" were seen here recently.
DSCN0871.jpg

Oakville seems to value its history and here is one example of a renovated historic building (as we walk south from the main drag down to Lake Ontario).
DSCN0873.jpg

Much of Oakville's waterfront isn't public (due to the number of waterfront mansions), but a good portion is public as well. Here's a few pics of the public portion...
DSCN0874.jpg

DSCN0875.jpg

The first mayor's house!
DSCN0879.jpg

And that's Port Credit and Oakville. Click here for for Part II.

The lighthouse could've been so much more fun if it had been adventurous and contemporary in design, rather than faux. My Hinterlands Tour last weekend revealed the full majesty of the streets of Oakville, happily-peopled in all their Stepford Wives glory. Plenty of huge mansions too.

Very nice pics. As a former Port Credit / Lorne Park resident I feel you did miss out on some of the wonderful urban streetscapes PC has to offer by focussing mostly on the new development which does fit in quite nicely.

DSCN0858.jpg

The restaurant is Snug Harbour, which is the one I was telling you about at our recent Summerlicious outing. We'll do dinner there eventually.

Good pictures. You caught a more accurate flavour of Port Credit by looking north of Lakeshore, as well as south.

"The lighthouse could've been so much more fun if it had been adventurous and contemporary in design, rather than faux."

A barrel of laughs indeed. Thank god for a little kitsch!

As I understand it, the Port Credit lighthouse is an active aid to navigation, not a kitsch folly. It also houses offices. My interpretation of the two threads of Dan and Darkstar's Hinterlands Tour is that the contemporary structures that stand out as being the most notable are those designed in the contemporary style for our contemporary world. Witness the aA-style condo on this thread, and Discovery Landing in Burlington, which Darkstar says, "wasn't kitchy marina-ish or faux historic. It was unapologetically modern and really made us respect what Burlington is doing on its waterfront." There is no reason why a lighthouse shouldn't, similarly, be reconsidered from a contemporary design point of view. Only a bored, suburban Stepford Wife would have problems with that proposition, surely?

I think the lighthouse has been around for a decade, a decade and a half or so; its kitschiness could almost be excused away as a Pomo-era-when-kitsch-was-borderline-cool period piece...

Besides, nobody puts lighthouses in the middle of a harbour.

"Only a bored, suburban Stepford Wife would have problems with that proposition, surely?

I love it when she gets flouncy like this.

Oh my gosh, I finally saw them Jason...You guys already everything in Port Credit, so I wasn't showing you boys anything new except for the local talent!

Louroz

Back