News   Jul 11, 2024
 489     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 679     0 

700 King West - Information?

Recoil

Member Bio
Reaction score
We are looking to purchase a loft in 700 King West. I'm looking for some information on this building. I searched urbantoronto but I didn't find much. I find it hard to believe this property had never been discussed here but alas my search turned up nothing.

From what I've gathered on the internet this was a commercial property that was turned into lofts at some point. They claim to have 11.5" ceilings but I'm skeptical given the pictures on MLS. We are looking to move into a loft but it seems to me there is a high number of units for sale in this building. I am reluctant to buy into this building without some more background information, hopefully from people who have actually lived in it. Obviously we will get the title certificate before a deal closes, but that doesn't tell you things like thin walls, bad management, etc.

Does anyone have any personal experience with this building, or able to point me in the right direction for more information?

We will be going to open houses in the building this weekend, too.

Thanks.

Hello. I live at 700 King Street West. I have lived for there for a number of years now, and can say that this building is built much stronger that any other building I have lived in or been in previously. The walls are super thick, to the point that I have never once heard a neighbour. The ceilings are indeed 11.5 feet, as long as you can see the exposed ceiling (duct work). There are a number of units that have closed over the ducts, and added in hanging ceiling, which I think removes the loft feel of the building. The security in the building is 24 hours, and absolutely fantastic. You can't beat this area. With Tim Hortons, Second Cup, HEro Burger, Subway, The Wheat Sheaf, and about 3 dozen snappy bars and trendy boutique restaurants around you, plus the streetcar right out front, you literally can't beat the area. Which unit are you looking at?

That would be the Westside Lofts, the building with the clock tower on the corner.
Like digitalmrkter says the building is built like a tank as it was originally an office building of concrete construction. It was converted to residential lofts over 10 years ago with very tall ceilings about 10- to 11.5-feet in height.

I have looked at a few units in the building and I think you are getting a good value for your money. Many of the units are very generous in size (many 2 bedroom units). Storage lockers are typically on the same level as the unit which is very convenient. There are some amenities including a roof top deck which they are been doing some extensive renovations to for quite some time which will include a BBQ area, patio lounge, a green roof, and running track. This amenity makes up for the lack of balconies for the units.
Of course the location at King and Bathurst can't be beat.

The downsides is that it is an older conversion and many of the units are very dated and in need of remodelling, the common areas are also very dated and tired looking, and the lobby has an overwhelming smell of Subway Subs which is next door, and the 70's thin office ribbon windows make for units that look dark and a bit clausterphobic. The condo fees are a little on the high side but not out of line with other condos of the same age.

Be sure to wander around the building when you are at these open houses to get a better feel of the building.

Back