1.7K     2 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 1.4K     8 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 573     0 

45 Minutes in Rochester

S

spmarshall

I had a quick chance to check out Rochester. Really, 45 minutes was enough for a quick tour of downtown.

The Williamsville Barrier on the New York State Thruway, on my way to Rochester. The Thruway still uses the old ticket system and people collect the tolls: the toll for each exit is printed on the ticket.

NYST.jpg

Heading north on W. Henrietta, towards downtown:

ROchester1.jpg

Downtown Rochester tour:

ROchester2.jpg

ROchester3.jpg

Rochester4.jpg

ROchester5.jpg

The Broad Street Bridge. The arches below the roadway is the only easily visible remain of the Rochester Subway system.

Rochester6.jpg

Rochester7.jpg

Rochester8.jpg

Rochester9.jpg

Rochester10.jpg

Midtown Plaza was on of the first downtown shopping malls in the US, anchored by two department stores. Both are now gone.

Rochester11.jpg

Xerox Tower

Rochester13.jpg

Rochester14.jpg

Rochester15.jpg

Rochester17.jpg

Kodak Tower:

Rochester18.jpg

High Falls. A small entertainment district is next to the pedestrian bridge, which gives a nice view.

Rochester22.jpg

Rochester23.jpg

Rochester21.jpg

Rochester24.jpg

I drove back along Highway 31, which follows the Erie Canal. It's a really pleasant drive.

Holley:

Holley1.jpg

Holley2.jpg

Holley3.jpg

Medina:

Medina1.jpg

Medina2.jpg

Medina3.jpg

Medina4.jpg

Medina5.jpg

Medina6.jpg

Medina7.jpg

Looks like you've spent your 45 minutes very well. Kind of makes me want to book a passage to Rochester on The Cat right now.

ROchester3.jpg

The Times Square Building is a great Art Deco landmark with those blades/fins (actually "wings") on top. It also shows up as a small office building in Sim City 4. While I don't mind getting rid of it in my Sim cities, because it pops up quite often, I would never wish demolition on the real building!

untitled.jpg

www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=125116

Wylie,

Thanks for pointing that out to me - I now recall my SC4 cities.

I would have liked to see a bit more - the Eastman House is supposed to be worth seeing, and I would have liked to try to find more of the old subway remains, but I am satisfied with the short time I had. There are some interesting buildings for sure.

nice pics and tour.

checkout those buildings right on the river's edge :eek

Good Rochester and WNY pics! I have spent time here myself-for a small marginal Upstate NY city it has its good places and scenes also! I will second NYS RT31 for a nice ride between ROC and NFL!! LI MIKE

Yeah, Highway 31 is a really nice drive. I did it once as an alternative for a really long Niagra to Monteal route.

Bizorky: Two other good ways to go are NYS 104 from NFL to ROC and one I like better is NYS 18 from NFL along the S shore of Lake Ontario-in eastern Orleans County you can access the Lake Ontario State Parkway paralleling it to just N of ROC for a nicer ride there in my opinion. The NYS Thruway is NOT the only way to go in WNY! LI MIKE

Long Island Mike: I'll keep that in mind for this summer as I will be in upstate NY. Thanks!

Long Island Mike:

Feel free to comment on whatever you'd like. There's no rule that says you can't comment on threads over a certain age. Besides, you might notice something we all missed...

Back