News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 562     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 851     0 

2022/24 Russian-Ukrainian War

Doesn't this violate the Geneva convention?

It's attacks on mostly civilian used infrastructure and disproportionate to the threat. So yes, it does. And some are calling it a war crime.

That said, these are called conventions for a reason. A convention is something you agree to. Not something that can really be enforced. And this war is showing the limits of international law when a major power can act with complete impunity and doesn't really care about humanitarian concerns. I mean, this is just one amongst a pattern of infrastructure attacks that largely aim to harm Ukrainian civilians.

Last edited:

It's astonishing how many "red lines" have been crossed since this conflict began. The following things were all at some point considered "impossible":

Sending lethal aid
Sending mid range artillery
Sending long range missles
Sending tanks
Sending jet fighters (currently in process)
Sending troops (according to the article above, this is becoming a possibility)

It seems that Western governments are finally accepting the harsh reality that nothing but a comprehensive Russian defeat in Ukraine is an acceptable outcome. I fully agree with this. No compromises with terrorist states. No negotiation. Only utter military defeat.

Tokmak has been an obvious strategic location for an offensive for a long time, so I guess I'm a bit surprised that they're not going for a more "surprising" spot for a main attack axis.

Tokmak has been an obvious strategic location for an offensive for a long time, so I guess I'm a bit surprised that they're not going for a more "surprising" spot for a main attack axis.

The only rail line in the south that connects to Crimea runs through Tokamak. If they break that line, Russian logistics will be in real trouble. They can also pivot from there to take Melitopol and Berdyansk. They'd also be in a good position to isolate the Zaporizhia NPP. They are going for gold here.

Last edited:
Trudeau and Freeland were in Ukraine for visit with Zelensky this week.

Some announcements coming out of it:

1686422822425.png

And we've apparently seized, "on behalf of Ukraine", the Antonov 124 that's been parked at Pearson for the past several months. It was still there as of about 2 hours ago when I drove by. Some news sites are saying that Ukraine plans to put it in service to airlift supplies into the country. I'm not sure that's a great idea. Besides, given that it has been parked for so long, it will need a lot airworthiness checks by techs certified on the aircraft before it can go wheels up.

Trudeau and Freeland were in Ukraine for visit with Zelensky this week.

Some announcements coming out of it:

View attachment 484325

It's a rather disappointing commitment. From, "Canada's back!" to, "Sorry. We can't match the Netherlands or Denmark.". Better than nothing. But this is so underwhelming. Especially in the context of having a Ukrainian Canadian Deputy PM.

Even if we don't have a lot of stock to share, the least they could have done is start making multi-year commitments for stuff that Canada builds. Like the Roshel or GDLS vehicles. They could have offered to pitch in with Europeans or Americans to fund arms or ammunition purchases. Those kind of actions at least send a message to Putin. Imagine the message sent when we basically make token efforts and basically leave it all to the Americans. At least the Europeans understand this now.

And we've apparently seized, "on behalf of Ukraine", the Antonov 124 that's been parked at Pearson for the past several months. It was still there as of about 2 hours ago when I drove by. Some news sites are saying that Ukraine plans to put it in service to airlift supplies into the country. I'm not sure that's a great idea. Besides, given that it has been parked for so long, it will need a lot airworthiness checks by techs certified on the aircraft before it can go wheels up.

There's no need to worry. They won't be allowed to takeoff without an airworthiness check. Transport Canada is just as interested in not having a giant crater in Mississauga as you are.

As for using it to ferry supplies. I don't think they mean into Ukraine directly. I imagine it will be based in a bordering country like Poland or at the joint NATO Heavy Airlift Wing in Hungary and contribute to the airlift pool. Could even qualify a Canadian pilot or two with the second option. That would be very cool.

Do you think that Canada (or any country) just lets planes take off without proper checks? Time to put your tin hat away.

Back