1.3K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 560     0 

2007 Toronto Festival of Arts, Culture and Creativity

F

FutureMayor

Funding was in today's 2006 provincial budget.

Also another $50 million for Toronto Cultural projects!

Toronto Festival of Arts, Culture and Creativity

Arts and culture are central to a healthy and vibrant community. They educate, inform and reflect who and what we are as a community, and help to make Toronto attractive to residents and visitors alike. With unprecedented new investments in many of our cultural facilities, the time is ripe to showcase the Toronto region's diverse and unique arts and culture offerings on the international stage.

The Toronto International Arts Festival, a 16-day celebration of arts and culture expected to premiere in June 2007, will present to the world Toronto's creativity and cultural energy. The Festival will not be a one time event - rather it is the beginning of an internationally recognized annual arts affair that will rival the Edinburgh Festival, the Venice Biennale, and the Sydney and Adelaide Festivals as one of the premier arts festivals in the world.

The Festival will bring to the city the best of Canadian and international theatre, opera, art, film, literature, cuisine, wine, dance, fashion, and music. It will highlight and make use of the many newly transformed facilities in downtown Toronto, as well as other venues like the North York and Mississauga Performing Arts Centres, and regional festivals such as Stratford and Shaw.

The lasting community impact of the Festival will be tremendous. From school children "committing acts of art" to public sculpture appearing on our streets to arts and culture organizations attracting new audiences to a heightened sense of pride, we will all benefit from the proliferation of art in our midst and from Toronto's enhanced reputation as a international tourist destination.

The economic benefits of the Festival will also be significant. Based on benchmarking from other festivals, it is anticipated that an annual Toronto Festival could draw 600,000 attendees. As many as 150,000 of these would be visitors to the region, whose spending would likely exceed $100 million, generating nearly $50 million in taxes for the federal and provincial governments.

The inaugural Festival will be themed Crossing Boundaries - a theme designed to push us to think beyond what's expected. It is about the advantages of crossing media, geographic, demographic, and personal boundaries. It is about making art accessible, and re-invigorating our region through the arts.

Louroz

The last time Toronto held an event of this calibre was for the sesquicentennial celebrations in 1984. It gave the city a tremendous lift.

307c-Brampton-c.jpg

(Okay, this was Brampton's Sesqui Squirrel, but we city folk had one too).

Yikes! That's a squirrel? Are those nuts in his pocket or is he just too sesqui for his pants?

Wot's all this about randy squirrels, then? You'd think we were paying to find out about who they screw, how, and when...

squirrel.jpg

Oh, don't remind me of Sesqui the Squirrel. I started to refer to it as Splatty, the Roadkill Squirrel, roads being the favourite habitat for suburban squirrels in Brampton and elsewhere.

My ROM mole informs me that they are planning to hold the official public celebration and dedication of the Crystal on Saturday June 2nd 2007, to kick off this Festival.

I hope people don't get this confused with the groundbreaking for Crystal Blu...

Back