AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
From the Globe, by John Barber:

A sophisticated city at every scale
John Barber
The Globe and Mail
Sep 18, 2007 pg. A14

"I'm really getting quite optimistic about this city," architect Peter Clewes admitted yesterday, boldly breaking ranks with the army of whiners that besieges Toronto - and seems to grow inversely with respect to legitimate things to whine about. But the Montreal-born, Waterloo-educated architect has reason to like his grudgingly adopted home town this week.

Widely acknowledged as the definitive residential architect of Toronto in the new century, he and his colleagues at Architects Alliance dominated the 2007 Toronto Urban Design Awards, winning awards for five projects, including the condominium complexes at 18 Yorkville Ave., on the west side of Bay Street, which won two awards; and Radio City on Jarvis Street, which shares its site with the rebuilt National Ballet School.

But as a member of the panel that helped select the awards, I assure you that Mr. Clewes and company didn't run away with it. The source of Mr. Clewes's optimism - the emergence of a vital design culture in Toronto - was powerfully evident amid most of the entries and all the winners of the 2007 awards, which are sponsored by the city and granted every two years.

Looking through the lens of this year's winners is to see a beautiful and sophisticated Toronto at every scale, from the monumental sweep of the planned Port Lands Estuary to the micro-surgical deftness of the narrow infill house architects Dean Goodman and Janna Levitt built for themselves on Euclid Avenue.

The value of the awards is that they encourage people "to think about spaces in the city that are not buildings," according to Mr. Clewes. "The spaces in between," he added, "are ultimately the things that matter most to the city."

Urban design, the art of the spaces in between and the specific focus of the Toronto awards, is not something that North American cities do well as a rule, "Toronto being no exception," according to Mr. Clewes. But you would never know that if the best of current practice, as showcased by this year's awards, was all you knew of the city.

Winners include such high-profile projects as the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts by Diamond and Schmitt Architects, a unanimous choice, and Plant Architect's winning entry from the Nathan Phillips Square contest. Big and promising waterfront visions won, but so did comparatively obscure interventions such as Scarborough's wonderful Thomas Wells Public School, by Baird Sampson Neuert Architects, and a single window architect Ted Watson added to the blank side wall of a corner house in the Annex, changing everything inside and out.

"We're not looking for object buildings," said Robert Freedman, the city's director of urban design. "We are looking for buildings that give something back to the public realm, creating wonderful spaces."

Now even the most commercial-minded developers realize city building "is not just about creating great units with great views," according to Mr. Freedman. They are marketing design and hiring top architects to fulfill the promise. "There's a lot of room for improvement," Mr. Freedman said. "It's a big city and there are some pretty messed-up spaces. But there's some really good progress being made."

Nobody is accusing Toronto of being a beautiful city - not yet. For every award winner that emerges from the current construction boom, there are half a dozen bottom-line clunkers. But the catalogue of virtue is expanding rapidly.

"Toronto is a growing city and it changes," Mr. Freedman said. "From the right angles, in the right light, it can be extremely beautiful."

If you don't believe it, check out the winners at www.toronto.ca and judge for yourself.

jbarber@globeandmail.com

AoD

From the Globe, by John Barber:

A sophisticated city at every scale
Winners include such high-profile projects as the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts by Diamond and Schmitt Architects, a unanimous choice, and Plant Architect's winning entry from the Nathan Phillips Square contest. Big and promising waterfront visions won

I really don't understand the praise behind the Four Seasons Centre. It is a black box on three of the four sides. Granted, I have not been inside and the University Ave. frontage looks great but I do not think any of that can make up for the horrible Queen St., York St. And Richmond frontages. This is Queen St. afterall, one of the most dynamic and engaging streets in the whole city.

I also find it amsusing that competition winners and visions are the benefactors of awards. Does this mean there is a dry spell of actual, high-quality finished products in the city? Or is this just a placeholder just in case none of these visions are ever realized...

I've remarked here on several occasions that Clewes is just as much of a master at designing the spaces between his buildings as the buildings themselves, and it's nice to see the great man saying so himself. The placement and relative weights of the 18 Yorkville buildings for instance, and what we've seen so far of the plan for the St. Michael's College complex, etc.

I haven't seen the entire list of winners, but I asume the world of copycat faux stylings is, yet again, blocked from critical acclaim. Too bad, so sad.

As epithets go, "horrible" re the 4SC side/rear elevations is like "gorgeous" re the Stern condo...

I really don't understand the praise behind the Four Seasons Centre. It is a black box on three of the four sides. Granted, I have not been inside and the University Ave. frontage looks great but I do not think any of that can make up for the horrible Queen St., York St. And Richmond frontages. This is Queen St. afterall, one of the most dynamic and engaging streets in the whole city.

I agree. From the the back and sides it can be quite a bit of not a lot.

But inside... it's another story.

Buy tickets or get yourself invited to some gala event. You'll change your tune.

Diamond was interviewed on 96.3 FM last night about his buildings and The Marriage of Figaro and he's quite humble about all the international praise he's been getting for this building. His Washington concert hall opens in a few days time and he mentioned that D+S are in the final three for Montreal's new concert hall competition.

Diamond was interviewed on 96.3 FM last night about his buildings and The Marriage of Figaro and he's quite humble about all the international praise he's been getting for this building. His Washington concert hall opens in a few days time and he mentioned that D+S are in the final three for Montreal's new concert hall competition.

Hi U.S.

I am an opera fan, and I will be going to hear La Nozze de Figaro on Tuesday Oct 2. Can hardly wait. Went to Ring Cycle last year, and attended two operas during the main season. This opera house -- the Four Seasons -- is a winner, its auditorium is a total success, and as for the City Room, I love it.

The exterior, done in the brutal 'international' approach doesn't bother me at all. My honest belief, however, is that it is a product of the budget. Torontonians seemed reticent to ante up for this project, perhaps because of acoustic fright, while they donated perhaps 100M more the ROM expansion (which, incidentally, I am inclined to call a little weak). Perhaps now that the FSC's acoustics and sightlines are, by international standards, fabulous, some year the building may grow a new exterior. Raising the necessary money (perhaps 30M?) is not out of the question, all of a sudden, in Toronto.

I use this building, the FSC, and from a user standpoint, it is largely a raving success.

Hi U.S.

I am an opera fan, and I will be going to hear La Nozze de Figaro on Tuesday Oct 2. Can hardly wait. Went to Ring Cycle last year, and attended two operas during the main season. This opera house -- the Four Seasons -- is a winner, its auditorium is a total success, and as for the City Room, I love it.

Is it bad form to quote myself?

The trip to the opera on October 2, with an out-of-town guest, reinforced my feelings that this building, the new opera house, should be praised. First, it serves opera beautifully. Excellent for hearing and viewing the action -- we were seated up in ring 4 -- and my, what elegance there is inside the auditorium. When you look up at the balconies from the main level, they soar above you, and the balcony curves are very opera house. During the intermission, my guest took a break, and I waited on 4th level of the lobby, or City Room, and gazed down into the lobby space. I wondered then how one year ago I missed the deft touches that I saw on Tuesday night. Indeed I had noticed the glass stairway and the 'catwalk-effect' walkways and all, but this time, I got a chance to stand still for five minutes and observe just how well it all fits together, the very simple and sexy way that the bar is situated in its space, the curved wall of horizontal wooden slats that reaches upward to the skylight, not to mention the view to Queen & University as streetcars, traffic, and pedestrians went by; too bad those fountains were off that night.

There is brilliance in this building, for the way it serves its purpose, for the slightly spare beauty of the auditorium (yet still very opera house), and for the modern, crisp and very animated lobby (City Room).

Jack Diamond's influences for the exterior, as far as I am concerned, are Coco Chanel -- you know, the simple black dress with one piece of jewellry, and Mies van der Rohe. In fact, if you look for a while, you will see the details; just don’t look when the external blinds are descended, that’s all (that’s a shame).

My guest is still here, and is still talking about the opera house.

I was at the October 2 performance as well (though my partner and I had to leave during intermission). Prior to going inside, I took a walk around the building and I must say the three exterior (North, East, and South) sides are not nearly as bleak as they're often made out to be. Advertisements for upcoming productions keep the sides refreshing, and the loading docks on the East as just a necessary component for a structure such as this. It is an urban building built into a dense metropolis.

Though it would be great to have a Valencia Opera House, this one works very well in its environment and is a wonderful venue for which is serves.

Back