447     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 353     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 551     0 

2004 Provincial Budget: McGuinty - there may be cuts to all provincial services

N

nicetommy2002

So now he is planning to make cuts to all services. Again, he blames the deficit. The very deficit that he was aware of when he was making promise after promise.

CP24 - The Tories became famous for their tax cuts. The Liberals may soon become famous for program cuts. Premier Dalton McGuinty is warning there may be cuts to all provincial services in an attempt to get the $5.6 billion deficit.

“We have a significant fiscal challenge before us. And we're not going to tackle this by nibbling around the edges and merely tinkering,†he said in Ottawa on Wednesday night. “We're going to take a couple of months to make that case so people understand that there's a need to do something beyond the usual.â€

The Premier explained that the government will publicize a few options as far as spending cuts are concerned next year. Ontarians will be able to make their voices heard before the next provincial budget comes down. But McGuinty admitted each and every program will go under the microscope, as his team attempts to do battle with the deficit, which was passed on from the recently ousted Tories.

Meanwhile, some claim the Liberals are using the deficit as a crutch or an excuse to break campaign pledges. But the Liberal boss says he was surprised by former provincial auditor Erik Peters’ announcement that it stood at $5.6 billion.

Why don't they have an independent auditor evaluate the fiscal position of the government BEFORE the election...so then parties can make promises knowing exactly what the situation is?

I'm as frustrated as the next guy but I think I'll wait and judge the Liberals on their performance over the next few years. I'm still ticked off that the so-called fiscally conservative Tories created such a mess - and I voted for these losers too. You want real fiscal conservatives? Look at the Federal Liberals.

You want real fiscal conservatives? Look at the Federal Liberals.

Exactly. A billion for a gun registry here, another unaccounted billion for some bogus HRDC program there and another 750 mil for some silly French immersion program, meanwhile you have to wait for 3 months for an MRI. It's easy to balance the books when you're robbing provinces left and right.

Why don't they have an independent auditor evaluate the fiscal position of the government BEFORE the election...so then parties can make promises knowing exactly what the situation is?

Well, the PCs could do that, as they were the governing party. The Liberals couldn't if the PCs wouldn't let them. Dalton McGuinty should have guessed that the deficit was much higher than what was claimed, but he wasn't allowed to see the whole picture until after he was elected premier.

...James

Back