News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 545     1 

15 Denison Ave (n of Queen W, potential affordable housing)

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Potential for affordable housing at 15 Denison Ave mentioned in Councillor Joe Cressy's letter. The site is currently a parking lot north of Queen W.

I have been working with City staff since 2015 to find a way to make better use of these public lands, and I have been supporting ongoing conversations with the adjacent property owners, City Planning, Parks, Forestry and Recreation, and CreateTO since 2016. I hosted a pre-application public consultation meeting in March of 2017, attended by many area residents and businesses. The proposed 1,000 square metre public park will be the first new park of its size in the densest part of the neighbourhood since the area began to grow more than 20 years ago.

In addition, I am very pleased to see Recommendation 6, for CreateTO staff to report back to the Board in fall 2020 with a development plan for 15 Dension Avenue, near Queen Street West and Augusta Avenue. This could be the destination for the affordable housing funds unlocked at 105 Spadina Avenue. In 2018, I brought a Member Motion to City Council that directed City staff to explore affordable housing and cultural animation opportunities for 15 Denison Avenue, as an independent and/or joint development opportunity, and to report back with a conceptual design and feasibility plan. I continue to strongly support this direction and look forward to working with you on a project that builds much-needed affordable housing, supports our city's creative economy, and contributes to the vibrancy of Queen Street West.

1595387579039.png

Potential for affordable housing at 15 Denison Ave mentioned in Councillor Joe Cressy's letter. The site is currently a parking lot north of Queen W.

View attachment 258680

Relevant report to the latest CreateTO Board Mtg:

Relevant UT Thread on said park, by me:

This is a Huge site (0.93 acres) - in a great location, and our Volunteers are keeping an eye on it as the Affordable-Housing process continues...

Great news! SQ and SQ2 look like obvious height/density precedents.

How about 35 Bellevue? (the other parcel involved in the 101 Spadina deal)

The notion that the City was only going to leverage 25-30 affordable housing units from these two huge surface lots seemed like such a colossal waste.

Great news! SQ and SQ2 look like obvious height/density precedents.

How about 35 Bellevue? (the other parcel involved in the 101 Spadina deal)

The notion that the City was only going to leverage 25-30 affordable housing units from these two huge surface lots seemed like such a colossal waste.

Very, very early-days in the process... but our Volunteers are working on massings at around 90-units level for the Kensinton-Market parking-lot site. Should have something to share in early 2021... but look towards something like the TCHC building at 1 OAK street in Regent Park as an example.

PDF - https://www.torontohousing.ca/event...6Item 5 One Oak Project Completion Report.pdf

Very, very early-days in the process... but our Volunteers are working on massings at around 90-units level for the Kensinton-Market parking-lot site. Should have something to share in early 2021... but look towards something like the TCHC building at 1 OAK street in Regent Park as an example.

PDF - https://www.torontohousing.ca/events/Documents/Archives/7786Item 5 One Oak Project Completion Report.pdf

Hopefully, will include visitor parking for the church, maybe underground.

Hopefully, will include visitor parking for the church, maybe underground.

The site can have as much underground parking as the CITY is willing to pay for --- for the example under the new MEC Building at Queen & Soho the construction-cost was $72,000 per underground parking-space (*in 2016 dollars).

1606237993427.png

New motion and timeline on this site passed at Council yesterday - "City Council direct the Executive Director, Housing Secretariat, in consultation with the Chief Executive Officer, CreateTO and the General Manager, Economic Development and Culture, to accelerate plans to redevelop the property located at 15 Denison Avenue for affordable housing use and cultural animation, including that consideration be given to selecting a not-for-profit partner as the development partner, and to report to the Planning and Housing Committee by its May 20, 2021 meeting, with an update and recommendations for seeking and securing a development partner."

MM30.20 - Accelerating the Affordable Housing and Cultural Animation Opportunities at 15 Dension Avenue

Our volunteers worked with a Ryerson Planning School Studio class on this site for the last couple of months - and they will be submitting their report to City Council when this item is at P&H Committee next week...

1620918268017.png

Back