News   May 03, 2024
 216     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 166     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 110     0 

14 Dundonald (offsite parkland conveyance for The One)

Kenojuak

Member Bio
Reaction score
Per the Section 37 provisions attached to the February 18, 2020 LPAT order for The One by Mizrahi (1 Bloor St. E.), LPAT file 160431, 14 Dundonald Street will be dedicated to the City as offsite parkland conveyance in connection with The One. Here is Schedule A to the LPAT approved bylaw:

1582824332499.png

1582824339809.png

1582824326499.png

Here is ownership & site info for 14 Dundonald:

1582824436124.png

Here is the permit status for the house demolition:

1582824476395.png

Might be waiting a long time if they have to remediate. I think the property use is changing from commercial to parks (not an expert in this area) so an RSC seems likely prior to conveyance?

Interesting.

I wasn't aware Parks had designs on widening the Parallel to Yonge Parks. (that was their planning name)

The site immediately north of this lot might make a logical add-on as well then.

I could also see adding the Sanctuary (old Church) on Charles.

And possibly 14/16 Isabella.

Price is lower than I might have thought.

The question here, even w/those additions, a playing field really isn't plausible. It is it worth it for more garden space; and possibly a full-sized playground? Hmmm.

$4,000,000 is about right to me. It doesn't really have intensification potential otherwise so you are pretty much paying for the existing structure.

The question here, even w/those additions, a playing field really isn't plausible. It is it worth it for more garden space; and possibly a full-sized playground? Hmmm.

Yeah, I don't love the strategy here unless there's a plausible plan to continue acquisition to the east -- seems those monies would go further/better to improving the existing green space than extending a small portion of it like 9m eastward.

If I were to pick my highest priority for parks acquisition in/near the core...........

I would argue for the 'condo' site on the north side of Metropolitan United Church, and the associated church grounds that are already a park, of sorts.

Closer to this location I would argue for annexing all the common green space for the apartment complex next to Cawthra Square and adding it to the park in a formal way, and re-doing the associate road as interlocking pavers with a pedestrian-priority feel.

To get the park on Dundonald large enough to hold a 'junior' soccer field, roughly 27m x 45m; you would need everything east to Wabenose Lane (N-S portion); and from Gloucester to Dundonald; and then close the E-W lane between the 2 parcels.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't love the strategy here unless there's a plausible plan to continue acquisition to the east -- seems those monies would go further/better to improving the existing green space than extending a small portion of it like 9m eastward.
Personally I think the City should be doing more like this, not building up this war chest of parkland cash. It's unreasonable. The market keeps rising while they sit on their parkland cash earning probably less than 1% interest, losing value against the cost of land every year.

They should spend is as they get it. No bad piece of land to acquire, especially beside an existing piece. Over time that is a powerful strategy. The parks department can play the long game. 100 years for an assembly or longer. But it all accrues. Need to get downtown pieces before they're all assembled and developed.

My two cents.

Last edited:
The first of the revitalized Yonge Street Parks is done, except for this site, which was acquired to be added to it.

1611625414655.png

1611625443164.png

Personally I think the City should be doing more like this, not building up this war chest of parkland cash. It's unreasonable. The market keeps rising while they sit on their parkland cash earning probably less than 1% interest, losing value against the cost of land every year.

They should spend is as they get it. No bad piece of land to acquire, especially beside an existing piece. Over time that is a powerful strategy. The parks department can play the long game. 100 years for an assembly or longer. But it all accrues. Need to get downtown pieces before they're all assembled and developed.

My two cents.
Yes, even if the land they get does not eventually become a park, they have it available to swap for more suitable sites.

Back