News   Aug 23, 2024
 878     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.4K     3 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 512     0 

113 McCormack St (Boston Auto Wreckers, ?s, ?)

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
It appears, based on decisions taken by Council, that this entire street will see its 'industrial' uses shift to mixed use.

Obviously, I assume, the proponent above is setting the site up for sale rather that shifting the nature of their business.

But I thought it was noteworthy as the whole street seems to be going.

Also notable, the client trying to get out from under onerous obligations (cough) to provide affordable housing.

1675955494554.png

I don't know how much lobbying @HousingNowTO does with the MAH, but this should be stopped in its tracks.

A quick look at the site:

1675955575822.png

Aerial:

1675955683017.png

Comments: Note the depth of the lot here, as while the frontage is relatively small, this is actually an over 20,000ft2 lot (or about 1/2 an acre)

The current neighbours detract from the site's mixed-use potential, but with it appearing the entire street will go, this lot is well positioned in having a direct view of parking land both on its north and south elevations.

Honestly, depending on just how contaminated that land is between that site and the next-door site, would expect that the environmental remediation costs would eat up any possible Affordable Housing opportunity on the site that small.

Honestly, depending on just how contaminated that land is between that site and the next-door site, would expect that the environmental remediation costs would eat up any possible Affordable Housing opportunity on the site that small.

Unfortunate, if the case, but important to consider here, the conversion seems to apply to the entire street; if so one has to consider negative precedents and the lost opportunity over multiple sites.

Further, I think you'll see one or more assemblies here. Why not insist that there be no 'relief' on housing obligations until we are at the ZBA/SPA stage and we know what size sites these will be?

Unfortunate, if the case, but important to consider here, the conversion seems to apply to the entire street; if so one has to consider negative precedents and the lost opportunity over multiple sites.

Further, I think you'll see one or more assemblies here. Why not insist that there be no 'relief' on housing obligations until we are at the ZBA/SPA stage and we know what size sites these will be?
I just know that "Affordable Housing" folks (unless Government land which the Government is going to remediate) - usually can't consider former Gas Station, Dry Cleaners or other contaminated sites - as they carry too much risk.

Cleaning-up the contamination getting rid of the junk-yard IS the "Community Benefit" on a project like that.

Back