Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Yonge Street should be a 30km/h zone in your opinion? For all of it. From Steeles to the lake?

My guess, but I bet he means south of Bloor, or even south of St. Clair, where things are tighter, and there is a lot going on. I would go further, south of Bloor give me pedestrian only, and put those sweet euro-bollards up that go up and down depending on deliveries etc. Then make the speed limit there 10, for those trucks delivering. Something like that. Oh, I can dream...

I'm OT, I'll stop dreaming.

I'm OT, I'll stop dreaming.

Don't (stop dreaming).....

Big things are coming, maybe not quite to the level of your utopian dream LOL......but real progress.

All of Yonge south of Bloor will drop to one lane each way with wider sidewalks and trees.

All of Yonge from Bloor to York Mills will drop to one lane each way with Cycle Tracks.

Yonge through North York Centre will drop to 2 lanes each way, with Cycle Tracks and wide sidewalks.

The only leaves the unholy mess around the 401........that will never be good, but there are plans to make it better, one day, when hundreds of millions of dollars fall from the sky, and north of Finch.

Yonge south of York Mills being 30km/ph is not unrealistic; North of that, no, it will be higher; but less of an issue than today.

Where does my personal line lie? I'm all for bike lanes (put them on every street!) and pedestrian signal advance for instance, but I find 30km/h and 40 km/h speed limits on main roads (Avenue, Yonge etc) to be goofy.
You shouldn't need bike lanes on every street. In the NL most of the bike network takes the form of low speed, low volume 30kph access streets. In that case, bikes and cars can mix without dedicated lanes. The key is design to ensure low speeds (narrow, without long straightaways) and low volume through modal filters to prevent rat running through traffic.

Big things are coming, maybe not quite to the level of your utopian dream LOL......but real progress.

All of Yonge south of Bloor will drop to one lane each way with wider sidewalks and trees.

All of Yonge from Bloor to York Mills will drop to one lane each way with Cycle Tracks.

Yonge through North York Centre will drop to 2 lanes each way, with Cycle Tracks and wide sidewalks.

The only leaves the unholy mess around the 401........that will never be good, but there are plans to make it better, one day, when hundreds of millions of dollars fall from the sky, and north of Finch.

Yonge south of York Mills being 30km/ph is not unrealistic; North of that, no, it will be higher; but less of an issue than today.

Yes please!

As strong an advocate I am for expanded/improved cycling infrastructure, I'd support NO bike lanes on Yonge between Bloor and Front. There simply isn't space to accommodate both the needs of pedestrians and cycling.. We often try to appease too many interest groups at once and end up doing none of them well as a result. Put the North-South bicycle lanes on Bay and then have it jog back to Yonge near Davenport.

1 car lane each way Bloor to York Mills can't come soon enough We also need bollards and/or planters on 100s of streets to make sure cars don't park in the bike lane or half on the sidewalk. A huge number of drivers seem to have no qualms about doing so. And police drive right by and do NOTHING; some times they're the ones doing it. I suppose some kid has to die before they take this seriously. Maybe that won't even be enough.

Last edited:
It's roughly at the Loblaws north of Lawrence where Yonge stops being an urban shopping street where 30 km/h is an appropriate speed limit. Then it should be again from south of Sheppard to about Finch.

Saw this article today about the province thinking of banning new bike lanes that reduce the number car lanes. Not sure how likely it is to become law or how much it would affect the plans mentioned above.

Saw this article today about the province thinking of banning new bike lanes that reduce the number car lanes. Not sure how likely it is to become law or how much it would affect the plans mentioned above.

That's being discussed/lamented over in the Cycling thread.

My instinct is that its so much red meat for the base that will not go anywhere. I don't think the province really wants to micromanage roads at the municipal level, note how they've backed away from MTSAs among other things......and reversed themselves (a few times) on the Greenbelt and on other details of Planning Law.

That said, this government can fool you for their willingness to seriously pursue bad ideas.........so we'll have to wait and see.

I get the concern about congestion, but it is hard to pin all that congestion on the bike lane additions. The places where I see the most congestion don't actually have bike lanes. The places with bike lanes were congested before covid. This is dog whistle politics. Stirring up divisions again with war on car messaging. If they have any studies, I would love to see them, other than that this is populism for the 905'ers.

That's being discussed/lamented over in the Cycling thread.

My instinct is that its so much red meat for the base that will not go anywhere. I don't think the province really wants to micromanage roads at the municipal level, note how they've backed away from MTSAs among other things......and reversed themselves (a few times) on the Greenbelt and on other details of Planning Law.

That said, this government can fool you for their willingness to seriously pursue bad ideas.........so we'll have to wait and see.

They backed away from MTSAs? As in less focus on TOD and density goals within those 500m radii around stations?

Last edited:
They backed away from MTSA's? As in less focus on TOD and goals within those 500m radiuses around stations?

This is correct. The province never enacted MTSAs, they have no legal force or effect. The City haven't heard from the province on pending enactment since spring.

Can we just come clean and admit that the city is purposely engineering congestion into all the streets as a way to discourage driving?

I mean it's dressed up as bike lanes and transit priority, but at the end of the day it's about making it harder for cars to get around.

The congestion is intended. It's a part of Vision Zero.

I get the concern about congestion, but it is hard to pin all that congestion on the bike lane additions. The places where I see the most congestion don't actually have bike lanes. The places with bike lanes were congested before covid. This is dog whistle politics. Stirring up divisions again with war on car messaging. If they have any studies, I would love to see them, other than that this is populism for the 905'ers.
It's not a matter of the truth of the belief, but rather the truthiness.

Truthiness is the belief or assertion that a particular statement is true based on the intuition or perceptions of some individual or individuals, without regard to evidence, logic, intellectual examination, or facts.[1][2] Truthiness can range from ignorant assertions of falsehoods to deliberate duplicity or propaganda intended to sway opinions.[3][4]

Any sign of the new stairs from the Dundas bridge? (or the supports for same? )

Took this shot for you. 👍

DJI_20240920173142_0014_D.jpg

And this shot at Gerrard. No stairs planned there, but shows the path is still dirt.

DJI_20240920173102_0012_D.jpg

Can we just come clean and admit that the city is purposely engineering congestion into all the streets as a way to discourage driving?

I mean it's dressed up as bike lanes and transit priority, but at the end of the day it's about making it harder for cars to get around.

The congestion is intended. It's a part of Vision Zero.
If that were the case, why did the city invest considerable resources into traffic agents to manage box blocking?

Back