News   May 17, 2024
 2.9K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

General railway discussions

What about Moncton to Halifax? Or even Truro to Halifax?

Or what about Calgary to Banff ?

I would agree with your thinking if one of the largest cities in Canada wasn't cut off from the rest of Canada's passenger rail network.
Sure but those are not established corridors. Start with what we have now. Not pie in the sky.

Sure but those are not established corridors. Start with what we have now. Not pie in the sky.
I am guessing you have never lived there, or even visited there. Truro is an hour away. Moncton is 4 hours away. Both are on the Ocean route. It is very normal for people in those places and beyond to go to Halifax for the weekend, much like someone from Kingston going to Toronto.

I am guessing you have never lived there, or even visited there. Truro is an hour away. Moncton is 4 hours away. Both are on the Ocean route. It is very normal for people in those places and beyond to go to Halifax for the weekend, much like someone from Kingston going to Toronto.
I'm not arguing the viability of the service. It's not practical because the train only runs three times a week. You can't go from Halifax to Truno as a day trip.

I'm not arguing the viability of the service. It's not practical because the train only runs three times a week. You can't go from Halifax to Truno as a day trip.
Which goes back to the bigger problem of moving between cities. If it ran more often, a day trip could be possible. Hopefully after the LDF is finished, we can look at really serving more people better such that the biggest problem really becomes the last mile.

Which goes back to the bigger problem of moving between cities. If it ran more often, a day trip could be possible. Hopefully after the LDF is finished, we can look at really serving more people better such that the biggest problem really becomes the last mile.
The ocean and the Canadian used to be a daily service. But track slots are another problem.

The ocean and the Canadian used to be a daily service. But track slots are another problem.
In other parts of UT, I do say that we should leave them 3x a week but have a Corridor style service on them as well to cover where more service is needed.

I’ll post this here as I am not sure we have an Amtrak Canada thread. At breakfast in Montreal this morning I was told the Amtrak has cancelled the Adirondack for a month or so. Apparently it will run into upstate NY and stop. No one seemed to have any ready details as to why or how long. Or the alternates? Bus?

I’ll post this here as I am not sure we have an Amtrak Canada thread. At breakfast in Montreal this morning I was told the Amtrak has cancelled the Adirondack for a month or so. Apparently it will run into upstate NY and stop. No one seemed to have any ready details as to why or how long. Or the alternates? Bus?
Yep. May 21, 2024 through July 2024 for track work. No alternative service; they're simply not selling tickets for the northern stations on those dates.

The Adirondack will continue to operate as a daily round trip on its existing schedule between New York City and Saratoga Springs, whose famed racing facility will serve as the substitute site of this year’s Belmont Stakes, part of horse racing’s Triple Crown, on June 8. The Ethan Allen Express also serves Saratoga and Fort Edward-Glens Falls, N.Y. on the Adirondack’s route, but six other New York stations on the remaining 184 miles north to Montreal are losing service.

Yep. May 21, 2024 through July 2024 for track work. No alternative service; they're simply not selling tickets for the northern stations on those dates.

Thankfully, it seems that this will be the last month-long service cancellation for the foreseeable future:
It is ESPA's understanding that the trackwork to be completed is on an approximately 25-mile segment of the Canadian National-owned line north of the US-Canada border used by the Adirondack to reach Montreal. In the summer of 2023 CN imposed 10mph speed restrictions on this segment which forced Amtrak to institute an unplanned service suspension from late June through early September. The upcoming trackwork should prevent future widespread CN speed restrictions and Amtrak service suspensions.... "

Last edited:

1715612127973.png

Back