Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Especially since we all know the streetcar won't actually run there until several thousand residents have moved in, all needing a car because there's no transit there.
I imagine that absent LRT there will be robust bus service. Maybe that is too much to hope for.

While I was in the area I swung the camera around a little and captured a few other interesting views...

The amount of low-density former industrial land between Eastern Ave and the Lake is staggering. Decades of development potential there.

Some of that land is certainly re-purpose-able; most obviously, the East Harbour lands; but much of it is still active employment use, particularly film studios, as well as the very large City of Toronto yard/office on Booth.

I'm not sure we should plan on making those jobs go away; people do need to work.

Relocating the City yard has significant cost implications both capital and operating as well.

^I do agree that jobs do need to be preserved but in the very specific case of the Booth Complex a very good argument could be made for reuse to cultural activities and relocate the works yard to the Eastern Portlands. Just look at what has been done with the gas buildings in Corktown.

Or maybe it is time to consider an underground facility that could be centrally located. The same could be done on King West near Dufferin. I think that the economics allow this to be feasible.

I need to go back on the presentations to see if this has houses for bats and sparrows… I liked the ones with houses for bats and sparrows.

^I do agree that jobs do need to be preserved but in the very specific case of the Booth Complex a very good argument could be made for reuse to cultural activities and relocate the works yard to the Eastern Portlands. Just look at what has been done with the gas buildings in Corktown.

Or maybe it is time to consider an underground facility that could be centrally located.

The Portlands are possible. There are, however, still cost issues, it's a large relocation, a new building, and one has to be sure the location works as well (in that case it might).

But I'd be leery, the TTC has encountered significant cost issues in dead-heading after off loading all their city-centre bus yards years ago. That would all need to be modeled.

Also in general selling off government land, only to have to buy it back later at 3x the price is a concern. We're seeing this already in some areas.

The same could be done on King West near Dufferin. I think that the economics allow this to be feasible.

Booth has a large fleet of gas/diesel vehicles and fueling facilities. The requite ventilation for a below-grade facility would be a substantial cost. They also piles of supplies outdoors on City-owned land. (compost as example). I don't think underground will make sense in the near-term.

The land east of the Don is protected land use for the movie industry and employment with some green space. We need to stop chasing employment out of the waterfront as it works with the place to live, work and play with no need to own a car.

As for robust service, what is that??? Unless a bus is coming every 5-10 minute, anything beyond that is not robust. If you can't get a seat and force to stand for your trip, not robust. The same will apply to the LRT when every it show up and we are still around to ride it.

^Yes! I have been caught out and lazy! Lol
I saw it this morning from the Canary District FB group an 3 d. But I am horrified to learn that it is not an up-to-date photo!!!

I pride myself on posting info that is seconds old. Anything more than 3 days old is too far gone. Apologies.
Up to date? Here's a clue...trees turn colours in October...not May. In any event, as someone who has had their pictures used by others, it's about giving credit.

Up to date? Here's a clue...trees turn colours in October...not May. In any event, as someone who has had their pictures used by others, it's about giving credit.
I agree!!!

I have had images used without credit. I saw it on another group's site that had no credit so assumed that it was the poster's.

Sorry, just to be clear I certainly don't want to shut down the movie industry out there. I just meant like any areas where there's legacy industry that isn't needed anymore. Like what is happening with East Bayfront. But yes, a city will always need certain services and a place for those services so I'm not saying turn the Commissioners Street Tranfer Station into lofts.

Last edited:
Interesting video from CBC about new bridge.

Also if you look closely in the background when the Two Rows architect is speaking you can see that the shoreline imbedded with trees is complete on the north side of Promontory Park.

This is great as it is clear by now that I love this feature as it encourages ‘reposing,’ a favourite activity of mine! (I picked it up in Dresden where reposing has been elevated to a high art.)

Last edited:
The five bridge designs, if anyone wants quick reference to them again, can be found on page 319 of the thread.

Now they really need to give that stuck bridge a nice new paint job like electric lime or something to make feel part of all the other great bridges in this area.

Interesting video from CBC about new bridge.

Also if you look closely in the background when the Two Rows architect is speaking you can see that the shoreline imbedded with trees is complete on the north side of Promontory Park.

This is great as it is clear by now that I love this feature as it encourages ‘reposing,’ a favourite activity of mine! (I picked it up in Dresden where reposing has been elevated to a high art.)

From the above:

1715109292731.png

1715109351237.png

Stuff is mostly leafing out...........

Not quite the mix of stuff I would have chosen for a hardened shoreline (some is).........

Surprised not to see any Eastern White Cedar which does well in such conditions.

Hmm just blew this up.........a fair few dead trees:

1715109501264.png

Last edited:

Back