News   May 17, 2024
 858     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 540     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 5.5K     7 

Toronto Bike Share

am i the only one whose phone takes like 15 seconds staring at the qr codes to unlock then?
My experience with the new app this morning (same bike checked out twice) was that it scanned the QR code VERY quickly. I'm curious to see over further tests if that's actually an improvement in this new app.
My experience with old app is that sometimes it's very quick to scan, and other times it takes forever, or I end up asking for a code.

My experience with the new app this morning (same bike checked out twice) was that it scanned the QR code VERY quickly. I'm curious to see over further tests if that's actually an improvement in this new app.
My experience with old app is that sometimes it's very quick to scan, and other times it takes forever, or I end up asking for a code.
The new app is definitely faster, but I miss being able to get a code to enter at the station. It's not uncommon to have a bike "not registered on the system" and the only way to unlock is with the card which I never carry or typing out the code the old app provided. The new app still throws up the same error message unfortunately for those bikes.

Yeah I won't be using it until this feature is available. I always unlock bikes this way so that I can put my phone away before I get to the dock.

Not only that but I find the QR scratched bikes are often in the best shape of any on the rack. I suspect it’s done by people using them for food delivery that want to keep a well tuned bike for themself for the day. The difference between a freshly tuned bike and the average bike is huge. I’ve made a rule for myself that if a rack has a QR scratched out, that’s always the bike I’ll take.

Not only that but I find the QR scratched bikes are often in the best shape of any on the rack. I suspect it’s done by people using them for food delivery that want to keep a well tuned bike for themself for the day. The difference between a freshly tuned bike and the average bike is huge. I’ve made a rule for myself that if a rack has a QR scratched out, that’s always the bike I’ll take.
That's not my experience, but I also never take the E-bikes

Yesterday apparently.

20240507_100816.jpg

I saw that and was going to post another picture. They really need to assign two people doing this. I get that it's only for a brief rush right around 9 a.m., but the wait is probably 15 minutes on a nice day.

Bikeshare is definitely behind on their promised rollout of expansion for this year. They committed to having it complete by July, but they've only put out a few new docks. They have extended some, but only Temperance in the Financial District has been done recently.

Yeah I won't be using it until this feature is available. I always unlock bikes this way so that I can put my phone away before I get to the dock.
Am I the only one still using the card to unlock bikes? 😅

I don't even keep the card in my wallet, just in my pocket. It is quick to slot in and out and the bike unlocks right away. I don't like fumbling with my phone, especially in the colder months where I have gloves on and store my phone in my inner jacket pocket while biking.

Am I the only one still using the card to unlock bikes? 😅

I don't even keep the card in my wallet, just in my pocket. It is quick to slot in and out and the bike unlocks right away. I don't like fumbling with my phone, especially in the colder months where I have gloves on and store my phone in my inner jacket pocket while biking.

I think I received a card waaaaay back in that first year of Bikeshare. I wonder if I still have it somewhere.

I can totally see that being convenient. Similarly, I still find it way faster / easier to tap my credit card when paying for stuff instead of using my phone. (And it annoys me when people fumble around with their phone when trying to get on transit, holding up the line - I don't want to be THAT guy!)

I do like the app for checking dock/bike availability, and the duration of my current ride. That part is even nicer in new app.

Bikeshare is definitely behind on their promised rollout of expansion for this year. They committed to having it complete by July, but they've only put out a few new docks. They have extended some, but only Temperance in the Financial District has been done recently.
Lack of funding??

Then just...LAZY!

I can't speak to the internal processes at Bikeshare, but their ability to do rollouts has been problematic over the years, I personally lobbied for the pre-approval process for just this reason, so that bikes weren't being put in, in time for winter.

Yet still, they seem to struggle; not sure if the supplier is late, their short-staffed, someone at the City is not approving their proposed locations in a timely way.............

But I'm not satisfied.

Back