News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 640     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 304     0 

Toronto Media Landscape and Personalities

CBC to get a $100 mill budget increase from the feds.

With inflation running at ~3%; a 62M increase would essentially be treading water. So the structural increase is likely closer to 38M (depending on what most CBC employees are seeing as raises, and the cost of rights acquisitions as well).

Still, its healthy.

But CBC remains profoundly underfunded when compared to other international broadcasters (on a per capita basis); particulaly when considering the need to operate in 2+ languages.

Last edited:
I really don't get the vitriol that the CBC gets from people on the right. Especially considering how underfunded CBC is. I agree, there shouldn't be ads on CBC and the advertisers could spend that money on the private broadcasters like City, Global and CTV.

We have successful shows like Schitt's Creek and Kim's Convenience. Shows like that should be supported and nurtured. There's no reason CanCon has to suck.

I really don't get the vitriol that the CBC gets from people on the right. Especially considering how underfunded CBC is. I agree, there shouldn't be ads on CBC and the advertisers could spend that money on the private broadcasters like City, Global and CTV.

We have successful shows like Schitt's Creek and Kim's Convenience. Shows like that should be supported and nurtured. There's no reason CanCon has to suck.
I am not sure the right wing folk who do not like CBC really care about the ad revenue as much as they think CBC pushes a 'left wing agenda'. Of course, this really means it has programs that question things and talk about difficult (for right-wingers) subjects like climate change and sexuality.

Legendary hockey announcer Bob Cole has passed away.

I rarely watch sports these days.......but as a kid, it was something my dad and grandfather were into and I sorta learned to like it.

At that time, I remember the HNIC announce team for the Leafs was Bob Cole and Harry Neale.

Bob did have the perfect voice for this, along w/his mixture of properly professional play by play mixed w/genuine excitement.

Cityline, one of the last vestiges of the CHUM TV empire, is being cancelled after 40 years.

The daytime talk circuit is not my thing; that said, this is yet another shirking of local production obligations, that to me it makes no real sense.

This show was profitable when it aired only in Toronto, its not particularly expensive to make; its now national, I fail to understand how they can't make money on it.

That said, IF Rogers reinvests the same or greater resources in other, arguably more important CanCon such as scripted prime time entertainment, I suppose that would be fine, apologies to anyone losing their job.

Last edited:
The daytime talk circuit is not my thing; that said, this is yet another shirking of local production obligations to me it makes no real sense.

This show was profitable when it aired only in Toronto, its not particularly expensive to make; its now national, I fail to understand how they can't make money on it.

That said, IF Rogers reinvests the same or greater resources in other, arguably more important CanCon such as scripted prime time entertainment, I suppose that would be fine, apologies to anyone losing their job.
I could never stand the daytime talk pap. I always felt the only people who watched that crap were bored, unemployed housewives with no purpose in life.

The daytime talk circuit is not my thing; that said, this is yet another shirking of local production obligations to me it makes no real sense.

I could never stand the daytime talk pap. I always felt the only people who watched that crap were bored, unemployed housewives with no purpose in life.

Yep, aren't the segments for daytime shows, as well as the breakfast shows, mostly paid content by advertisers?

Yep, aren't the segments for daytime shows, as well as the breakfast shows, mostly paid content by advertisers?

I don't catch very many segments of same, but in seeing the odd promo, I'd be inclined to say no.

You get a lot of lifestyle segments (cooking, interior decorating, pet care etc.) some of these certainly have cross-promotional value to those on the show being billed as 'experts' and maybe it helps push a book or a website, but I don't think its product placement as such.

You also get celeb interviews (sure, they're usually pushing a movie/tv show/ book etc. )

I imagine there must be segments like fashion that are pushed out in co-production with either designer labels or retailers, but I wouldn't have thought of that as the dominant feature. Then again, I don't watch these, so I can't say for sure.

You get a lot of lifestyle segments (cooking, interior decorating, pet care etc.) some of these certainly have cross-promotional value to those on the show being billed as 'experts' and maybe it helps push a book or a website, but I don't think its product placement as such.
I think this is relevant.

Daytime lifestyle shows were a staple for my mother in the 1980's. These days a 20/30-something woman is not going to make an appointment to watch Dini Petty and Ray Staples on TV for lifestyle content, they will get it from Instagram and TikTok. That means the lucrative advertising dollars for these shows have also gone with them over there. I mean there's a niche influencer community for all these things from makeup to clothes to cooking on social media pushing out content 24/7 now and that's where brands and advertisers will dump their money. So they probably lost their ability to leverage extra revenue, and even though the show is cheap to produce it needed that extra boost from being "the place to go" for these things which it no longer is.

Last edited:

Back