Toronto The Poet Condominiums | 24.08m | 6s | Fieldgate | TACT Architecture

My issue with the way that it looks is the gap between what was originally proposed and .... this. Maybe someday the side lots will get filled in with better and it'll sort of blend in.

It's bleak and sad and nobody's gonna love it. But it looks like the retail units have a fair amount of space.

poet-22.jpg

I imagine that, like the R-Hauz cladding, there's a spec sheet that says not to use the wood at street level.

poet-23.jpg

They should have abandoned the concept for the front when they cheapened it, because the back looks better.

poet-24.jpg

poet-25.jpg

Can't the gas mains go around the back instead of right in front?

Sure, absolutely they can, though it's very, very common that they do not. It generally requires a conscientious reading of the plans by the Planner on the file, and or someone in ECS etc. who flags that and requests a less conspicuous location.

In general, the mains (gas) feed in from the main street, so it's a very cost-effective choice to put that there. However, nothing precludes running the main longer and putting the meter at the rear lane. Of course, it would have made all the sense to run the gas under rear laneways back in a day...........

Last edited:
Some of the more stylized design motifs from the early stage renderings were removed in the final product. Including the subtle curved facade along Queen and the textured brick-like grey paneling on the cladding. I think this dud is more on Fieldgate.

27822-84152.jpeg

27822-84157.jpeg

Last edited:

Back