Toronto Gerrard-Carlaw South TOC: Badgerow, Carlaw & Thackeray Block | 79.08m | 23s | Infrastructure ON | SvN

IO_Gerrard_Carlaw_South_00.jpg

Public-Consultations, both virtual and in-person over the next week, starting tonight -

I popped into last night's virtual engagement session.

I appreciated the discussion on the chimney sightlines and how the chimneys will work as landmarks for the new neighbourhood. The retention of the heritage Carlaw façade with the new housing units was also discussed.

A few typical NIMBY comments ("Why towers?!?") were sprinkled in with some more valid concerns like ensuring that creative businesses on the site would be protected.

Are you referring to the large, round white building? It's the Mattamy National Cycling Centre (Velodrome)
maxresdefault.jpg

Had my car in for service with George and his crew at Don Valley Auto (388 Carlaw) and took the drone to pass the time while I waited.

View attachment 556396
View attachment 556398
View attachment 556400
View attachment 556401
View attachment 556402
View attachment 556404
View attachment 556403
View attachment 556405

Really gives you a sense of how prominent those chimneys are. I'm happy to see they're being protected.

Really gives you a sense of how prominent those chimneys are. I'm happy to see they're being protected.

For sure. I always wished they had saved the twin smokestacks at the Art Deco Symes Road Destructor in the Junction. But alas, they were demolished at some point after the incinerator was decommissioned and repurposed as a waste transfer station.

Back