News   May 01, 2024
 977     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 282     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 343     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

If the Conservatives win federally in Oct 2025 (the mandated election date, assuming Jagmeet doesn’t pull the NDP trigger) then Doug Ford is screwed in 2026 (ON election must be held by June 4, 2026), because Ontario rarely has the same party in power as that in Ottawa. Though if Trump is destroyed in Nov 2024, Canadians might sour on Pollivre.
The chances of Trump getting destroyed are nil. He has a solid chance of actually winning, if anything.

He'll either win in a narrow way like he did in 2016 or lose by at most something like he did in 2020.

I don't think his fate will have any effect on Poilievre. Despite the best efforts of some in the media and the Liberal PR backrooms, real people don't think of PP as being anything like Trump.

He'll either win in a narrow way like he did in 2016 or lose by at most something like he did in 2020.

I don't think his fate will have any effect on Poilievre. Despite the best efforts of some in the media and the Liberal PR backrooms, real people don't think of PP as being anything like Trump.
If Trump loses, I think Trumpism may lose some steam, and PP definitely benefits from Trumpism motivating the conservative base in Canada.

PP has definitely mastered the meme-ification of politics, which is Trumpian for sure, but predates and will survive the demise of Trump.

Since this was a provincial law, I will place this here:

Judge strikes down the majority of Mike Harris' 'Safe Streets Act'

There are two fundamental aspects to the bill, one which identifies where soliciting/pan-handling is prohibited and the other describes manners of panhandling that are prohibted (broadly, what the Act defines as aggressive)
From the above:

1712167719517.png

and

1712167868942.png

While I disagreed with the political demonizing of panhandlers/the homeless in the Harris Era, and likewise sympathize here with the lawyers that felt that ticketing those w/no funds to pay same is entirely unproductive, I actually disagree w/the scope of the judge's ruling here.

I do think people people have a right not be intimidated in a manner than confers a threat by its very nature. I've seen women on the subway fearful of a large man sticking his hand out in their face, and sometimes not taking 'no' for an answer. I've had to step in once or twice.

Of course, that's not the norm; of course, social assistance ought to be much more generous, and people properly housed.

But the answer to the above is not letting people feel that its unsafe to go out alone, in any number of settings, particularly women or the elderly.

If the judge had simply struck the penalty down for its unreasonableness, or curbed some of most frivolous excesses of the law, I think that would be fine; but as is, it strikes me that he protected drivers, but not pedestrians or transit users, and he did so as an adult male, insufficiently considerate to those in society who are not.

Last edited:
Cracking down on the bedridden. What a great look, Ontario

Seven people in Ontario have been fined for refusing transfers from a hospital to a long-term care home not of their choosing. A law enacted in 2022 requires hospitals to levy fines of $400 a day on patients who can be discharged but need long-term care and are refusing to go to a home selected for them by a placement co-ordinator.

The government has long said it was not aware of anyone being fined, with Long-Term Care Minister Stan Cho saying as much as recently as two weeks ago.

Hannah Jensen, a spokesperson for Health Minister Sylvia Jones, now says that seven people have been fined but the ministry was not aware of those cases.

https://www.cp24.com/news/seven-peo...ng-ltc-transfers-ontario-government-1.6832118

Since this was a provincial law, I will place this here:

Judge strikes down the majority of Mike Harris' 'Safe Streets Act'

There are two fundamental aspects to the bill, one which identifies where soliciting/pan-handling is prohibited and the other describes manners of panhandling that prohibted (broadly, what the Act defines as aggressive)
From the above:

View attachment 553338

and

View attachment 553339

While I disagreed with the political demonizing of panhandlers/the homeless in the Harris Era, and likewise to the sympathize here with the lawyers that felt that ticketing those w/no funds to pay same is entirely unproductive, I actually disagree w/the scope of the judge's ruling here.

I do think people people have a right not be intimidated in a manner than confers a threat by its very nature. I've seen women on the subway fearful of a large man sticking his hand out in their face, and sometimes not taking 'no' for an answer. I've had to step in once or twice.

Of course, that's not the norm; of course, social assistance ought to be much more generous, and people properly housed.

But the answer to the above is not letting people feel that its unsafe to go out alone, in any number of settings, particularly women or the elderly.

If the judge had simply struck the penalty down for its unreasonableness, or curbed some of most frivolous excesses of the law, I think that would be fine; but as is, it strikes me that he protected drivers, but not pedestrians or transit users, and he did so as an adult male, insufficiently considerate to those in society who are not.
The (un)intended consequence of that ruling will be that any enforcement action regarding aggressiveness, impeding or intimidation will have to resort to the Criminal Code.

If the Conservatives win federally in Oct 2025 (the mandated election date, assuming Jagmeet doesn’t pull the NDP trigger) then Doug Ford is screwed in 2026 (ON election must be held by June 4, 2026), because Ontario rarely has the same party in power as that in Ottawa. Though if Trump is destroyed in Nov 2024, Canadians might sour on Poilievre.

I don't think our elections are so closely tied to the US. The LPC and Trudeau are unpopular largely because of domestic political reasons. I don't think Trump winning or losing matters here.

As for Ford in 2026, I know the pattern. But I also think people don't look at why that pattern holds. Usually, it's the timing of elections and overlapping policy effects. Two higher levels of government imposing austerity at the same time can be brutal. Ford may be lucky enough that federal CPC austerity won't have sufficiently kicked in before the provincial election. But maybe the Liberals and Dippers could pull the trigger earlier (I don't think they will), which could hurt Ford. Maybe Ford pulls the trigger early too if that happens?

I suppose it may be best if Ford restricts himself to the margins but ...

I consider this to be a good thing.

Paper bags are recyclable and much better for the environment than cloth reusable bags. I currently have about 60 cloth bags between my car, work and house.

I suppose it may be best if Ford restricts himself to the margins but ...

The problem w/the paper bags was they didn't have handles, and also were quite thin, meaning any rain gets on them and the contents goes through the bottom in a hurry.

Whole Foods does paper bags, but with handles, and they are sturdy enough to give some breathing room on weather (don't leave 'em soaking a puddle and expect a good result though)

I can respect the mandate for reusable, but there paper can be a responsible choice; either/or.

But if doing paper, make the damn bag usable; by all means charge .25c per bag!

Back