Toronto Bathurst Quay Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Kearns Mancini

From this afternoon.

IMG_0284.jpeg
IMG_0282.jpeg
IMG_6192.jpeg

...thinking how that Kraftwerk multimedia thing would work for these silos. They would have to work both sides (east + west) to be most effective, IMO. Plus, we'd need Mr. Hütter and his Krafwerk team here to provide the respective music. <3

Last edited:
I can't stand Vienna.....Berlin however :cool:

Not to run too far down an OT tangent; but what do you have against Vienna? I think it's a beautiful City (in the centre, the suburbs are suburbs) .

The cuisine is a bit steak and potatoes for me, but fine for what it is......

Not to run too far down an OT tangent; but what do you have against Vienna? I think its a beautiful City (in the centre, the suburbs are suburbs) .

The cuisine is a bit steak and potatoes for me, but fine for what it is......
Although beautiful, it's too stuffy and conservative. Plus it feels tiny. Not much counterculture or an art scene (despite its musical and culturally rich history whose impact is still felt, I feel like it's become more hallowed out). Doesn't appeal to me as a young artist but can tolerate it for a weekend.

Big concrete pour on Wednesday for Bathurst Quay Common’s water’s edge terrace. We’ll start to strip the formwork on Monday, followed by structural steel and Silva cells (for the trees to be planted in/through the deck) installation. All leading up to start of carpentry work in May.

Resized_20240410_100952_1712761855016.jpeg
Resized_20240410_111004_1712761851492.jpeg
Resized_20240410_163021_1712781032555.jpeg
IMG_6242.jpeg

I'm curious: why are there visible patches (lighter shades than the restored concrete) on the silos? Was that a deliberate choice, a natural effect from the restoration, or will it be further treated to make it uniform?

I'm curious: why are there visible patches (lighter shades than the restored concrete) on the silos? Was that a deliberate choice, a natural effect from the restoration, or will it be further treated to make it uniform?
It’s already treated to even out the patches. That’s as good as it’s going to get, considering how damaged and stained it was before.

@70Challenger is right on. There’s a number of reasons for the uneven texture in certain places.

First of which is the original construction method, since the silos were formed and poured in layers. So there have always been distinct horizontal bands of varying tones and textures which you can see in archival photographs, though I believe these are now somewhat more apparent after cleaning.

Then there’s the hodge podge of repair methods used up until the silos were abandoned in 1987, much of which we had to remove.

And then this current rehab involved forming and pouring literally hundreds of patches using fibre reinforced concrete, followed by application of a mineral based tint to create as uniform as possible a consistent finish.

IMG_2640.jpeg
IMG_2604.jpeg
IMG_9350.jpeg
IMG_0010.jpeg
IMG_0490.jpeg
IMG_3430.jpeg

Back