News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 415     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

What do you see as the difference? To me it looks like the amendment has more urgency and specificity to it which I thought would be a good thing.
It goes too far to dictate that there would be multiple stops between the current terminus and Woodbine GO. Do we really need two stops for Woodbine Mall?

Nothing will create urgency in Metrolinx other than an offer to co-fund
And so it makes sense in my mind to get an estimate on this short extension to Woodbine GO, then pitch that to Woodbine Entertainment Group alongside the GO station. They’ve already committed to some funding for the GO station and that still leaves riders at least 1km from any of the Woodbine facilities.

Do we need any stops for Woodbine Mall? Is there a business case for this that makes any sense?
Perhaps the best solution is one stop between Rexdale and Nearctic, with provisions for a later infill stop between Rexdale and Queens Plate. Woodbine grounds are already being redeveloped while the mall on the north side has significant potential for redevelopment in the future.

What do you see as the difference? To me it looks like the amendment has more urgency and specificity to it which I thought would be a good thing.
The Rexdale stop seems to be the major difference. I think most councillors, dealing with 900 things that day, couldn’t see what the difference was, so opted for the original recommendation.

But also, this is just a recommendation from the City of Toronto’s Executive Committee, and literally means nothing. Metrolinx will do whatever it and Doug Ford wants (which probably includes a Rexdale stop, TBH).

I think any extension of the Finch LRT is waiting on Woodbine and Pearson to figure out their transit plans and neither are moving very quickly.

any extension of the Finch LRT is waiting on Woodbine and Pearson to figure out their transit plans and neither are moving very quickly.
This page Woodbine Community Plan reports:
  • 2023 - entertainment complex opens
  • 2024 - planning and phasing for residential community and site infra
  • 2025 - Work begins on GO station
  • 2030 - GO station opens
With more and more development proposals popping up in this strip, this can quickly become the busier end of the LRT line whenever extended.

This page Woodbine Community Plan reports:
  • 2023 - entertainment complex opens
  • 2024 - planning and phasing for residential community and site infra
  • 2025 - Work begins on GO station
  • 2030 - GO station opens
With more and more development proposals popping up in this strip, this can quickly become the busier end of the LRT line whenever extended.
...5 years to build a single GO station?? Please, PLEASE tell me that there is something exceedingly complex about that site...

...5 years to build a single GO station?? Please, PLEASE tell me that there is something exceedingly complex about that site...
Few complexities here:
  • possibly a multi-platform configuration to allow for Kitchener Line and UPX to both stop here
  • planning ahead for the interchange with LRT (I think this should be the terminus but if not they need probably to go under or over the rail)
  • Hwy 27 lane configuration / additional intersections?
Woodbine owners have the potential to boost their land value tenfold and kickstart a beautiful connected community. Here is a fantasy plan I put together quickly:
woodbine stations map.pngwoodbine redev.png

A half kilometer walk is not very convenient.

TBH, the whole continued existence of Woodbine racetrack is so mind-boggling to me. People drive to a place to watch horses run in circles and bet on it? This is fun?

I don't want to yuck anyone's yum - it's just very strange for me.

A half kilometer walk is not very convenient.

TBH, the whole continued existence of Woodbine racetrack is so mind-boggling to me. People drive to a place to watch horses run in circles and bet on it? This is fun?

I don't want to yuck anyone's yum - it's just very strange for me.
Their future plan is to add a community stadium as well as soccer training fields to make it a multi purpose entertainment complex. The hope is for a future women's professional soccer team to be housed there.

I think the proposed go/lrt stations will be closer in walking distance to those sites than the racetrack.

Edit: added link to the plans

Wait until you find out about how owners of the winning horses make some extra cash! Let's just say they arrange a little "date" for their prized stallion. ;)

Back